Vessel checklist before setting out Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » All Aspects of Sailing » Vessel checklist before setting out « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

David Sheriff
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 280
Posted on Monday, October 13, 2008 - 10:27 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I have been guilty of taking off for a long weekend with practically no oil in my transmission. Thankfully, someone with a checklist caught it. Your assumptions about your boat are, unfortunately, much like those about your car: It worked last time, it will work this time. Boats just aren't like that.

David Sheriff
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 156
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 04:38 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Having bailed out inoperable vessels on previous trips and keeping in mind some of the other misadventures I am aware of that have befallen program boats, I have doubled the size of the checklist. This is a draft for comment of the sheet we will use on La Mouette. The sheet assumes you know nothing about a boat you are going to charter and guides you through a number of pitfalls which have snared others. It is intended that the student skipper complete the sheet, perhaps delegating some tasks, but knowing the answers to all the questions ahead of time.

Yes, this could take an hour or two. And it might save your boat from an embarassing situation like having the mast fall down or stall with a fuel problem or limp home with the transmission smoking or overfilling the engine oil. Everything here is from something someone did not notice at some time. Obviously there are some typos and check spaces in the wrong places.
application/pdfxpanded checklist
Expanded_Vessel_Checklist.pdf (19.7 k)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration