Tillermaster Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » Boats (in general) » Tillermaster « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Josh Kemp
Username: magicdragon

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 11, 2014 - 12:54 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

My wife and I recently purchased a yacht off a couple of aged Canadians. It came with a couple of old americans in the form of two tillermasters. On the way down to Nelson from Auckland I blew something on the circuit board of one of them. The symptom being the tillermaster was now unable to extend the jackshaft. To my amazement, there was a spare circuit board on board, which I put into the tillermaster with delightful results. the tillermaster went fine again for half an hour, only for the second circuit board to go the same way. In my foolishness I had installed an oversize (5 amp) fuse, having run out of 1.5amp slow-blows, which I'd blown before finding there was a short in the plug supplying the power to the tillermaster.

I now have two faulty circuit boards, oneís a 3-75 and the other a 6-84, and I would love to fix them both. The tillermaster S/N is 4-482. It has a sensitivity knob.

I was very happy to find this website and the Trusty Tillermaster pages. It has altered my course from the rubbish dump to the electronics store. David - will your circuit board test set diagnose which components need replacing? Or will it just tell me that the board has a problem?

Before I found your site I went to a local marine electrician, who recommended changing the TIP125s and TIP120s and the 2N4401s. Tonight I replaced one of the TIP125s, which was looking a tad rusty at the connections, with a new one, but it hasnít solved the problem. Before I continued I thought I might ask your advice, and build the test set if itís going to help me. I imagine it will.

The second tillermaster that came with the yacht is an older version with no sensitivity knob. There are two spare circuit boards for that one, all three are working fine but donít drive the newer tillermaster. The unit works okay, but I think I got grease on the string and need to crack it open again to replace that.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration