Insulating grease and sprays Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » Boats (in general) » Electrical » Insulating grease and sprays « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

David Sheriff
Board Administrator
Username: Admin

Post Number: 57
Posted on Sunday, June 11, 2006 - 12:28 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

To grease or not to grease? I used to think it was just a dust catcher. Now I know better.

David Sheriff
Advanced Member
Username: David

Post Number: 106
Posted on Sunday, January 25, 2004 - 10:56 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Susie's been reading about boat maintenance again . . . .

I would temper the advice about spraying everything with the observation that everything you spray will become coated with grime as it picks up dust and salt particles. You can see this effect most clearly on an engine. All of the black gunk started out as a film of oil. Please do not wish that fate on your electrical system. The only thing worse is daubing that "liquid electrical tape" over everything.

If you are going to spray, a product called "TC-11" is pretty good for preventing rust and corrosion on metal parts. Supposedly you can use it on wires, but I would not unless they are attached to the engine and get hit incidentally.

Petroleum jelly is my current favorite for coating battery terminals. It does a reasonable job of sealing the surfaces without making a horrible mess.

If you really want to keep your battery terminals in good shape, clean the top of your batteries periodically with a cloth dampened with a baking soda solution. An acid aerosol tends to come out through the battery caps, which is why the terminals corrode in the first place.

Spraying or liquid electrical tape will not effectively seal connections in the bilge or where directly exposed to weather. Physically protecting connections from direct exposure to weather or water is enough. Notice that the back of your electrical panel, if located below decks in a sheltered location, stays just fine without any added attention.

Susie Campbell
Username: Susie

Post Number: 46
Posted on Saturday, January 24, 2004 - 08:26 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Do you know what the most common cause of boat breakdown is? ELECTRICAL!!!! That's right!! The boat you sail on is a floating corrosion PIT! You should keep all electrical systems clean and corrosion free by checking battery terminals and electrical connectors. Spary them with CRC or WD 40.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration