Marine wire types for general use boats Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » Boats (in general) » Electrical » Marine wire types for general use boats « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

David Sheriff
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 95
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 06:20 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Marine wire is typically very finely stranded so it snakes around easily and does not fatigue under vibration. It also has insulation which is specified to be both oil and waterproof. That said, you can get away with less.

Automotive battery cable would work in your application. THHN / THWN is inexpensive and works well except that it is a little stiff. I used it when I first started out five years ago and have a whole attic full of the stuff, if anyone would like some for free. It takes more time to run and ends up being more expensive in labor than it saves in wire cost.

Do NOT use solid wire. Don't splice wire anywhere it might get wet. Ordinary vinyl electrical tape is worthless in waterproofing connections. No not use wire nuts.

Use insulated crimp connections. If you can pull reasonably on the wire and the terminal does not come off, you have a good connection.

william see
Username: seewll

Post Number: 1
Posted on Tuesday, March 06, 2007 - 04:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Can you use general wire, 18 awg, 14 awg for things like radio, etc.. or is there a certain type of wire needed to use. This would be used in a 23 ft skiff so not in a enclosed cabin, What about battery cables, this boat will live on the trailer,and pulled to the water when used and removed the same day. what kind of difference is there between regular automotive battery cables and the ancor brand type or similar marine cable, other than the sealed heat shrink around connectors. I am currently trying to add a auto charging relay and two batteries to my boat, and before I add wire I would like to know if I need a special kind of wire.Thanks

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration