Gear & equipment Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » Saddleback College MST Seamanship Classes » MST 214B Advanced Ocean Sailing [Spring] » Gear & equipment « Previous Next »

Marc Hughston
Username: hughston

Post Number: 758
Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 10:17 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Your own PFD is not needed. We have the necessary PFDs on the boat - the big orange kind (type 2). A type 5 hybrid with integral harness is a good long-term investment though if you plan to be off shore regularly.

Maria Katrina Coreces
Username: kats

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 11:42 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi. The posts on gear have been very helpful. One follow up - do we need to bring our own PFDs?

Mark Howe
Username: unclemark

Post Number: 496
Posted on Monday, February 08, 2010 - 11:20 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Chris adds:
I want to post a follow up to the gear issues I was having at the DP West Marine; Newport Beach has a ton more foul weather gear and I was able to get the discount there too. If anyone from the class is in need of foul weather gear, go to Newport Beach and don't bother with Dana Point West Marine.

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 757
Posted on Saturday, February 06, 2010 - 01:52 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks Boris. I would add on the foulies, get the breathable type. You want waterproof AND breathable. Without this feature, you sweat yourself into coldness, and your jeans, sweats, or whatever else will not dry out on our trip.

Several years ago a couple participated in this class during what was basically a three day rain storm. Their cheap slickers parted at the seams early on and they were basically wet and cold the entire time.

This all depends on weather of course. No rain, no problem.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 494
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 07:43 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

From Boris Buzan

Mark asked for recommendations on personal gear for 214b cruise. Layers are the way to go for clothing. I helped deliver a 38 foot sailboat to San Francisco last summer, a 4 day push from Santa Barbara to the bay area. Even though it was summer, it gets cold and damp at 0300 off Santa Cruz. My outer layer was West Marine foulies, just the yellow inshore stuff. Layers underneath were things I already had, mostly from REI. Silk long johns, two piece turtleneck type, silk glove inserts and socks (ski stuff), hiking socks, hiking pants, the kind that have leggings that can be removed to make shorts during the day. Long sleeved hiking shirt, loose sweatpants and hoodie sweatshirt. A wool cap that you can pull down over your ears and gloves, three pairs. Lined gloves for the late night watch, cheepie throw away garden gloves (I got a three pack at Target) for anchor handling and sailing gloves for line handling. If you keep your extremities warm the rest is easy. For shoes I like the lace up topsider sailing ones, you can wear them with or without socks, they dry fast if they get wet and they give good traction on deck and they won't slide off your feet and go overboard. I have a Mustang inflatable PFD with intergal harness, one less thing to put on. The one I have has the hydrostatic inflator, only inflates if submerged. It is the most comfortable of the ones I've tried, wore it for four days with no chafe. PFD's only work if you wear them all the time, so get the most comfortable one you can afford. Some can really irritate the back of your neck. Inside of it I have a light, a whistle, and a signal mirror. I personally don't like strobes, they destroy your night vision when they flash. I flew Rescue C-130's in the Air Force, you can see a steady light a long way on a dark sea. I really like signal mirrors, they even work at night if there is decent moonlight. Take a few minutes to understand how they work before you pack them away. Mustangs are expensive, I bought mine form Sailnet.com for about $80 less than West Marine. Hope this is helpful.

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 755
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 03:17 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Some thoughts on Gear and clothing - in response to Chris' questions posted below.

For sailing in rain and stormy/wet conditions I like the taller boots rather than the dinghy boots. I wear a size 9 shoe, but bought a size 12 boot so I can kick them off when in the water.

For just shoes, I like the Top-sider lace up mesh shoes - tennis shoe style. I don't like the loafers when on watch - I find them too loose.

On PFDs, I'd absolutely recommend a Type 5 Hybrid (integral harness) with the autoinflate feature, with the offshore level of bouyancy - 35lbs I think. That'll turn you upright in the water if unconscious, and keep your head higher. Make sure you get a tether with it.

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 754
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 03:02 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

For boat and crew assignments for the first Field Trip in 2010, See the link in the pane at the top of the page for MST 214B 2010.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 492
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 05:47 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Message from Chris Toscano

I have some questions about gear for the trip. I was looking at a new pair of shoes and someone recommended dingy boots and I just wanted to hear from you if they are adequate enough for our trips. Also had a question about PFD's; do you recommend I get a Type 5 inflatable and if so what is a good one to get. And if you have any other recommendations I would like to know. Any info would be helpful. Thank You.

What say you who buy gear?

Mark Howe

Post Number: 491
Posted on Tuesday, February 02, 2010 - 06:01 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Message from Chris Toscano regarding the West Marine discount. Anyone else find better stuff??

I went to West Marine at the DP harbor over the weekend and their selection of foul weather gear was quite limited - mostly by size but also by "weight" - they seem to have a lot of lighter weight "summer"? type gear. Also the Saddleback discount on one item I checked was only $10.00 for a $160.00 coat - I think the discount might be deeper on their own brand but I am not 100% sure of that. One item I checked was about $150.00 and the discount was about $50.00. It was West Marine brand, and was the only other item I checked for the discount - you actually have to ring the item up to see what the discount is going to be.

I was wondering if the discount applied to the Newport Beach store as well because I heard from a friend that they usually have a larger/better selection there. If you could let me know or somehow set it up with Newport, and if in fact they have a better selection I would go there to purchase gear. Thanks for setting this up for the class. I want to be sure that I can get the gear I may need before the first trip.

Oh and by the way - the clerk had no way to tell when and/or if they would be getting more inventory in stock at the store and recommended that I just keep checking back. Kind of dicey when the trip is less than two weeks away.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration