MST 215 Vessel Command and Organizati... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » Saddleback College MST Seamanship Classes » MST 215 Vessel Command and Organization [Spring] « Previous Next »

For the Syllabus, Schedule, and Discussion items for the current class, Follow the discussion and posts below.

Previous class discussions can be found below at the links for each of those class-years.

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
2011 MST 215Brian Skeith24 04-28-11  08:54 am
2010 MST 215 DiscussionMark Howe15 02-12-10  07:34 pm
2008 MST 215 DiscussionsTed Lavino04-06-08  11:10 am
2007 MST 215 DiscussionsMarc Hughston69 14 04-11-07  10:51 pm
2006 DiscussionsTed Lavino46 04-11-06  10:01 pm
2005 DiscussionsMarc Hughston40 05-11-05  10:00 pm
2009 MST 215 DiscussionsTed Lavino04-30-09  12:03 pm
2012 MST 215 DiscussionsTed Lavino04-19-12  01:07 pm
  Start New Thread        

Mark Howe
Username: unclemark

Post Number: 795
Posted on Tuesday, January 10, 2017 - 10:17 am:   Edit Post Print Post

If you know of anyone planning to take MST214b or 215 be sure to make sure they are signed up by the end of this week. If there aren't at least 18 enrolled by then it may be canceled. There are currently 14.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 793
Posted on Saturday, December 10, 2016 - 05:11 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Here is the outline for the class with dates.
application/pdf
MST214B_17_Course Outline Syllabus.pdf (97.2 k)

Ric Dahlin
Username: rdahlin

Post Number: 12
Posted on Monday, February 11, 2013 - 04:20 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Skippers/Student Skippers
Spend the last hour of class tonight reviewing the provisions determined last week. Review gear list and other final preparations for the trip. We are leaving the dock by 0800 Saturday. Plan to have crew and vessel ready to go. Ensure boat is fueled, water is full and waste is empty. Decide if you want to hassle a sight for this trip. Call or email me with any questions. See you Saturday AM.

Ric Dahlin

Post Number: 11
Posted on Tuesday, January 29, 2013 - 12:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Feb. 4 class for MST215 will be held at the Sea Scout boats at 7:00. We will return to the Saddleback campus by 8:45 to meet with our assigned crews for planning.

Ric

Ric Dahlin

Post Number: 7
Posted on Monday, January 23, 2012 - 09:57 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Student Skippers - **REMINDER** bring a 3-ring binder for tonights class along with last weeks handouts. We will discuss some new material tonight, inventory the red bags, and visit the Sea Scout boats. Class on Feb 6th will include spending time with your assigned crew and planning for the Catalina voyage Feb 18-20.

Adrienne
Username: adrienne

Post Number: 2
Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 03:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I just looked at several weather sites that provide forecasts using multiple different mesoscale models (GFS 50 km/ HRWw 4 km/ NAM 12 km/ WRAM 4 km/ RUC 13 km/ CMC 0.6 degree), and all are in agreement that the worst wind/ weather will be Friday night into early Saturday morning, and that as of now, the wind will be clocking and returning to our typical light westerlies by mid-morning Saturday, although it looks like it will be rainy most of the day Saturday.
Obviously this is a constantly moving target, and since the big improvement is currently predicted to occur only about 6-8 hours before our planned departure of 8am Saturday, a small shift might make a big difference in the conditions.

Ted Lavino
Username: tlavino

Post Number: 162
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 10:33 am:   Edit Post Print Post

There are many sources for waypoints that you might find useful (Saddleback professors, cruising guides, fellow cruisers, etc.). However impressive the source though I would strongly suggest caution in using them, independently verifying the waypoint information yourself on a chart or chart plotter. Mistakes do happen, and I've heard many unfortunate stories of cruises ending in disaster when incorrect waypoint information was used without verification.

Ted Lavino
Username: tlavino

Post Number: 161
Posted on Tuesday, February 08, 2011 - 10:12 am:   Edit Post Print Post

For those of us who have not yet taken Mark's GIS class, GPX is a file format that allows transfer of GPS information (waypoints, routes, etc.) between GPS units such as the ones that Saddleback will be providing us during the cruises.

A great application that can use this format is EasyGPS, a free application that can be downloaded from: http://www.easygps.com/

More info on GPX at: http://www.topografix.com/gpx_for_users.asp

Mark Howe

Post Number: 582
Posted on Monday, February 07, 2011 - 06:19 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

This is the GPX file set I loaded on the GPS units for the cruise. There are local Dana Pt. items as well as Catalina. There are notes that may explain what they are as well and these notes will show up on your GPS if this works.

If you critique them I can revise them for future cruises.

application/octet-streamGPSLoadFeb2011
GPSLoad.gpx (31.0 k)

Mark Howe

Post Number: 499
Posted on Friday, February 12, 2010 - 07:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Here should be the answers to the quiz from Monday night.
application/vnd.ms-excelPre-cruise quiz answers
MST214bPrecruizeQuizAnswersDoc.xls (11.8 k)

I am e-mailing to you the answers to the midterm exam to help you avoid giving out wrong answers :-)
The e-mail will be going to the Saddleback e-mail list. If you have that e-mail forwarded you will get it directly, otherwise you will need to get it another way.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 493
Posted on Friday, February 05, 2010 - 01:56 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hey Skippers--
I posted a query from a 214 student who wants to know what you recommend for footwear, and the value of an inflateable pfd. It would be cool if you could give your views on clothing and equipment. Since there are different preferences, include your reasons.

Marc Hughston
Username: hughston

Post Number: 703
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:52 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I cannot upload the materials I want so let me try this.

Using the book materials you will receive Monday Jan 12, Here's the assignment you should have complete for our second class on Monday, Jan 26 (syllabus class 1 and 2).

Read:
Class 1 Jan 12
• Review MST 215 Syllabus – How to successfully complete this class
• Review voyage plan, discuss and set expectations for your crew
• Review Tab 1 Materials, and Attachments A-F
o Pre-Cruise Vessel Preparation
o Provisioning & Meal Plans
o Gear and Equipment Recommendations

Class 2 Jan 26
• Review Tab 2 Materials, Leadership in your role as student skipper, and discuss
• Review Tab 4 Materials, COB Rescue
o Discuss priorities and lessonsDiscuss “Staying on Board” on page 24 of Attachment K (on enclosed CD)
• COB Rescue Maneuvers
o Review Attachments O, P, Q, focusing on the maneuvers. Attachment R COB Final Report (on enclosed CD)

It will make sense when you get the book and look at the syllabus.

Marc

Marc Hughston
Username: hughston

Post Number: 701
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

MST 215 - Conducting the Spring 2009 Class

Historically, the way this class ran was that the MST 215 Student Skippers would partake in the same lecture as the the 214B students, and then serve as Student Skipper on the voyages, writing papers on their leadership experiences.

Over the last few years I have been working on a separate set of materials with a focus on the special circumstances and concerns of the skipper, or student skipper, and we have been holding separate class meetings as well. My objective is to better prepare you for the voyages, and strengthen your foundation in the hope that some of you may stay with us and in time, join the ranks of the boat captains.

I have produce a "book" of student materials and burned a CD that Mark Howe will hand to you on Monday the 12th (I'll be on the east coast) - 88 pages of materials that several of you have contributed to, along with articles from magazines and books. In the next post I give you the assignment and upload the pertinent materials from the book, in case there is a problem with getting that stuff duplicated at Saddleback.

Please post any questions or concerns here.

Marc

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration