MST 202 Marine Weather [Fall] Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » Saddleback College MST Seamanship Classes » MST 202 Marine Weather [Fall] « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Quizzes & Exams 2015Mark Howe10-29-15  11:35 am
Course OutlineMark Howe08-09-15  04:23 pm
PowerPoint SlidesMark Howe10 11-02-15  10:54 pm
Quizzes & Exams 2012Mark Howe14 10-19-15  04:01 pm
Library MoviesMark Howe11-14-08  09:10 am
TextbookMark Howe08-30-12  10:49 am
Weather ProjectsMark Howe11-17-05  10:11 am
DiscussionMark Howe09-24-08  08:36 pm
Weather PhotosMark Howe11-20-10  07:32 am
Weather Schools/ Training/ LinksMaik Bollhorn10-13-15  09:28 am
Waves; speed, length, etcMark Howe11-04-10  12:00 pm
  Start New Thread        

Mark Howe
Username: unclemark

Post Number: 769
Posted on Tuesday, December 15, 2015 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

application/pdfFinal Exam answers
Marine Weather Exam - Final answers to post.pdf (100.0 k)

Mark Howe

Post Number: 767
Posted on Monday, December 14, 2015 - 02:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Here is the Spring 2016 schedule of Marine Science Technology classes.
application/pdfSpring 2016 Marine Science Tech classes
Spring 2016 MST Main Flyer Final.pdf (288.4 k)

www.saddleback.edu/atas/marine-science-technology

Craig Wilsey
Username: craigwilsey

Post Number: 1
Posted on Monday, December 07, 2015 - 04:18 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Here are couple of helpful websites I discovered recently.
The first is http://passageweather.com/ which is full of helpful weather information for bluewater passages. It also has a full set of pilot charts that can be downloaded.

The other website is http://www.spaghettimodels.com/ which has a huge amount of weather data....

Sherif El-Sokkary
Username: sherif_e

Posted on Friday, December 04, 2015 - 10:00 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I followed Joaquin on this site that I stumbled across and was recommended in Latitude 38
www.storm2k.org
It is mainly a site for tracking active tropical systems .

(Message edited by Sherif E on December 04, 2015)

Brian Skeith
Advanced Member
Username: skeith

Post Number: 21
Posted on Thursday, December 03, 2015 - 05:28 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Mark/class:

I found following link to Wunderground has selection of different weather maps all in one location:
http://www.wunderground.com/ndfdimage/viewimage

Mark Howe

Post Number: 765
Posted on Saturday, November 21, 2015 - 06:58 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Brian writes:
Working on my notebook—analysis of the Daily weather chart.
Attached is example—I see the cold front lines and warm fronts on the Surface Weather map.
There are also lines---that are color of the warm front (red/orange)—for example off the coast of Southern California on this date—11/8/15---do you think that is a stationary warm front line? I see these front lines other places on the map as well-without the usual front symbols for direction .
The main front line I am tracking is the cold front approaching from the north on this map

The red dashed lines are the trough. (note how they line up with the isobaric troughs.) The trough and front approximate each other but not exactly. In other places, as you say, they show up without any frontal symbol at all.

Wherever you see a trough, and no indication of an associated front, you can try treating it as if it were a front. Also it should approximate the wind shift lines.

To determine whether it is warm or cold, see what is behind it; warm or cold.
Obviously, real life is more complicated than the textbook examples, but the principles are the same.

The blue ones are associated with a ridge; same color as a high. Not sure exactly what they are showing. There should be an explanation somewhere in the document. Keep looking.

Daily Weather map

Mark Howe

Post Number: 764
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 06:28 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Just to reiterate:
There is no class at the campus on 23 Nov.
Your assignment is to do the Hurricane Exercise as noted in class and work on your class Presentation/ Project assignment.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 763
Posted on Thursday, November 19, 2015 - 05:49 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I emailed to the class an example of a good weather notebook. Check your Saddleback email.

I know there is a way to put a lot of file stuff into something called 'dropbox' but I don't know how. If we can set something like that up for the class I could put lots of stuff in it.

Otherwise, just keep browsing this site. Did you notice Dave Leu's contribution in the weather photo section.?
http://ww2010.atmos.uiuc.edu/%28Gh%29/guides/mtr/cld/cldtyp/home.rxml

Mark Howe

Post Number: 762
Posted on Tuesday, November 10, 2015 - 06:25 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I was able to move the boat around---by taking off the edit restriction on the powerpoint.
Hope we can review in class today –again ---the concepts around ‘fronts’—lot of material to digest—need refresher-re-review—on drawings of fronts, relationship of the air masses, boat location, etc.
Thanks. Brian Skeith

Thanks Brian:
Did we cover what you wanted? Anything in particular you think needs more discussion?
Any other topics that need more review?
Do you think that some of the UCLA lectures over complicate what we are trying to do? Or can you accept just what we are doing and ignore the rest?
Thanks for your feedback; always welcome. Mark

Brian;
I was never able to find your answer to the above.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 761
Posted on Saturday, November 07, 2015 - 08:57 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I have reorganized and cleaned up the Quiz/ Exam section of this site. Start working on Quiz 4, particularly the Art Lesson part.

This NOAA forcast is what Maik was discussing. Take a look. It renews at least daily.
http://forecast.weather.gov/product.php?site=SGX&issuedby=SGX&product=AFD&format =CI&version=1&glossary=1

Mark Howe

Post Number: 760
Posted on Friday, November 06, 2015 - 06:59 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

There WILL be class held on Mon.!
The Veterans Day holiday will be held on Wed. so there WILL be class on Mon.
Cory and Jared you missed a significant about of material. Be sure you don't miss this week.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 759
Posted on Tuesday, November 03, 2015 - 07:56 am:   Edit Post Print Post

http://fox43.com/2015/10/23/incredible-photo-of-hurricane-patricia-taken-from-in ternational-space-station/

K Watt
Username: kywtt

Posted on Tuesday, October 20, 2015 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Print Post

http://epod.usra.edu/
http://apod.nasa.gov/apod/lib/aptree.html
Easy to find almost any type of cloud using the search bar.

http://earth.nullschool.net/#current/wind/isobaric/1000hPa/orthographic=162.05,3 2.55,446
I didn't see this in your list of recommended links. Will take a moment to load. Updates every 3 hours.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 755
Posted on Friday, October 16, 2015 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks Brian;
That's what I was attempting to do. The only thing I knowingly left out was the formation of deserts on the back side of mountains since that is mentioned elsewhere. What else should go on the list?

Brian Skeith
Intermediate Member
Username: skeith

Post Number: 20
Posted on Thursday, October 15, 2015 - 09:44 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Marc---the Air Parcel Q&A is useful to summarize key points from the video. I find it difficult to watch these videos and to take any notes during--due to density of technical info provided. An outline/summary of key facts--available while we are watching the videos--might be helpful --to be able to take notes--or use the 'stop and start' approach--eg. stop the video to 'simplify ' or emphasize a key point--throughout the video--might help with bringing out the key points and breaking up the info into more bite size pieces...

Mark Howe

Post Number: 754
Posted on Wednesday, October 14, 2015 - 07:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Brian Skeith wrote:
Are we supposed to pull the Quiz 3 off the website -from the 2012 version? Or are you going to post a new one?

I will post a new one but the [only] difference will be the Air Parcel Bouyancy questions, so in the meantime do both. I want you to critique the Air Parcel Bouyancy [APB] since I have never before used it in the class this way. Does it help??

Mark Howe

Post Number: 751
Posted on Wednesday, October 07, 2015 - 07:10 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

The Global Circulation Patterns slides are under the PowerPoint slides section here.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 750
Posted on Monday, September 14, 2015 - 05:08 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

application/pdfLatent heat graphic
Latent Heat Energy.pdf (82.8 k)

Mark Howe

Post Number: 748
Posted on Monday, August 31, 2015 - 12:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

There are 3 hurricanes in the Pacific right now

There are 3 H/T in the Pacific lined up near the Hawaiian Islands. Meteorologists are saying it has never happened before.
This would make an interesting class project if anyone wants to claim it.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 741
Posted on Sunday, July 26, 2015 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I have just recieved the following from Morgan Barrows, our Dept. Chair regarding ensuring our classes are considered when the adminstration is considering cutting classes.

"Please encourage your students to send me emails (which I can forward to the dean and VPI) justifying the need for their class, especially if it is the last class they need for their certificate. I can't emphasize enough how important student voices are in these situations."

If you are in a situation where a canceled class will seriously affect you, email: Morgan Barrows mbarrows@saddleback.edu

Mark Howe

Post Number: 527
Posted on Monday, August 23, 2010 - 03:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

From the two Eric s.
I was looking through the list of weather websites that I sent you and realized that some of them are “dead”; as in wrong address. And this is a list handed out by a weather analyst who works at the NWS. He even had his own – San Diego – site name wrong! EG

I created an excel sheet from the PDF. When I tested each link to make sure I entered it correctly I found many of the links were dead or have been changed to a new name. Column C shows all of the updated links. There is an overwhelming amount of information available about weather on the web. ES

application/vnd.ms-excelRevised Weather Sites
InternetSitesForMarineWeatherInformation_v2.xls (28.2 k)

Mark Howe

Post Number: 739
Posted on Saturday, July 25, 2015 - 11:22 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Here is the list of Fall classes.
Classes start Aug 14, a week early; they may be canceled if you don't sign up this coming week or two.

application/pdfFall Courses 2015
MST Flyer Fall 2015 - Final.pdf (179.2 k)

Mark Howe

Post Number: 679
Posted on Wednesday, November 07, 2012 - 08:39 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Was this the site you all were asking for? I found this by googling noaa weather map. It looks like what Kathleen found, but appears to be generic; like you could always find it with the same url. I haven't spent any time yet, but it looks like what we wanted.

http://www.hpc.ncep.noaa.gov/dailywxmap/

Only problem, can't get past Monday, but otherwise it sure has the isobars, fronts, and troughs and ridges clearly shown. To back into the hydromet. info use the same url without the 'dailywxmap'.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 681
Posted on Monday, November 26, 2012 - 01:38 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Reminder:
Tonight the Hurricane Quiz and Quiz #4 are due.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 531
Posted on Monday, September 13, 2010 - 03:14 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Look at the handouts for Hurricanes at the end of the syllabus. Check out the tracks for the several hurricanes as they travel across the Atlantic and the Gulf of Mexico.

[In the No. Hemisphere]
The right shoulder of the storm is the dangerous one because the windspeed is increased by the travel of the storm. The left shoulder is decreased by the same amount. Therefore whenever you see a storm approaching an island or mainland, notice what is in the path of the right shoulder. That will be the heaviest hit.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 524
Posted on Friday, August 20, 2010 - 06:17 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks to you all, we are a go!.

Make a mental note of the towering cumulus clouds we saw along our mountains earlier in the week. If anyone got photos, you can post them. If any big fires get started, watch for "pyro-cumulus" and watch the weather newscasters on TV in more detail. They now have unbelievably killer graphics.
Thanks again and see you Monday.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 430
Posted on Friday, November 14, 2008 - 09:04 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Extra Credit Given for Researching a Sundowner:
Rev up your search engines and see what you can find about the Sundowner Wind that caused Montecito to burn last night.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration