GIS 110 - Geographic Information Systems Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » Saddleback College MST Seamanship Classes » GIS 110 - Geographic Information Systems « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Mark Howe
Username: unclemark

Post Number: 448
Posted on Saturday, January 10, 2009 - 03:20 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

GIS 211; Intermediate GIS; offered on Wednesday nights 7 to 10 p.m.
I am enrolled, I think John Fellner is also, maybe Dave Tatum.
The prerequisite is the basic GIS class but if any of you have already done the tutorial in the textbook on your own you should be able to do the class. We Marine types always make sure to provide lots of opportunities for coaching so nobody gets left behind.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 375
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2008 - 09:47 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Anyone interested in being able to create maps such as the ones we showed in class should get involved with our GIS mapping program. You can get a free trial for the ArcView mapping software from ESRI, and ExpertGPS for plotting your GPS tracks and waypoints on a map.
First you will want to have access to a GPS unit which can be connected to your computer where you can store your files. I will loan you one for the next cruise if you wish. Then you can make maps using the software.
Here's a demo code you can use to try the ExpertGPS GIS shapefile import/export:

Follow the instructions at
http://www.expertgps.com/register_expertgps.asp to register your 30
day trial of ExpertGPS Pro with GIS and CAD. Be sure to restart
ExpertGPS after entering your code to unlock the GIS and CAD functionality.

Name:
Saddleback

Option Code: [leave blank]

Key:
000017-Z2RKCN-0RA6NQ-TJRJH0-GQ1QXG-F4D5HE-779TP6-T8HM0P-V1PTCR-907J65

Mark Howe

Post Number: 374
Posted on Saturday, April 19, 2008 - 11:16 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Excerpt from discussion on ExpertGPS. You can download a free trial copy if interested.
Dan:
An ExpertGPS user asked me how to get nautical charts into ExpertGPS. Here's the best strategy I could come up with - perhaps others have found different ways to get nautical charts into ExpertGPS.

Download NOAA's chart reprojecter, which can convert .BSB files into .TIFF, and even change the map projection:
http://www.csc.noaa.gov/crs/chartreproj.html
Download the NOAA charts you need in .BSB format from:
http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/mcd/Raster/Index.htm
Use the reprojecter to transform the .bsb to .tiff, and add the TIFF maps to the Scanned Maps Library in ExpertGPS.

Fred:
That is the method I used. Once they are calibrated, can they be shared and still maintain calibration? If so, which file do I share, the exported one?

I had tried to upload a file but I kept getting an error "Upload failed. You are not permitted to upload this type of file".

Mark Howe

Post Number: 350
Posted on Tuesday, February 05, 2008 - 04:04 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I checked with Mary Lenney, the GIS instructor.

You can use the Save A Copy command (File Menu, in 9.2) and save the .mxd as a 9.0/9.1 mxd.

I'm wondering, Ed, did you buy the book with the 9.1 instead of 9.2 and that's why you have to open your 9.2 map from school on your 9.1 at home? If that's the issue, maybe we can get you an exchange for the 9.2.

Edward C. Hooper
Username: ed_hooper

Post Number: 1
Posted on Sunday, February 03, 2008 - 02:16 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Houston,

We have a problem. ArcGis 9.1 will not open a 9.2 map.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 297
Posted on Friday, June 15, 2007 - 09:51 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I note it has been a while since this discussion was posted to. Since then we have successfully downloaded charts and have discovered new problems.

To go to the bottom line;
enc.direct, as discussed below, will download GIS/ESRI charts in what we fondly refer to as "shapefile" format. Our first experience with this was a huge number of shapefiles which required sorting out.

There are 4 categories of shapefiles, called something like general, overview, coast and then approach_harbor. The approach_harbor category gives the greatest detail and has data that is different from the others. My guess is the data is taken from the input for the various large scale to small scale charts and unfortunately makes them incompatible.

My most recent experience, last month, was trying to download only the approach_harbor shapes, but from a number of areas. So I selected only a-h from the menu, but I got the whole thing just as before. Also Newport's a-h is either not available [not very likely] or I haven't figured out how to get it. A work in progress.

There is a lot of stuff that is only found on the larger extent charts. So Newport lights show up on one file but DanaPt lights show up on another. Some cities show up on one and others on another. Etc. The only file that puts everything together on one shapefile is the dangerous rocks file. It is not an a-h file, which by other standards would indicate it isn't very accurate as to the precise location of the rocks. I'm hoping they are doing this one file precisely.

In GIS, you can enter the shapes on a map and turn them on and off as you wish. Rocks are perfect for this because all the rocks go on or off at the same time. Cities, for example, to not. Nor do lights. Depth contours do, but then if you want to go to different areas there are gaps. At least it works well for the Dana area.

Ted Lavino
Username: Tlavino

Post Number: 6
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 03:09 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Mmmm, as a test I used the NOAA ENC selection and download tool which is written in Java (sounds similar but totally different from Javascript) to download the following charts:

US5CA71M - APPROACHES TO SAN DIEGO BAY
US3CA70E - SAN DIEGO TO SANTA ROSA ISLAND
US5CA75 - SANTA BARBARA ISLAND
US5CA79E - PYRAMID COVE AND APPROACHES

After downloading them and expanding them (the download is a compressed file in PKZIP format that Windows XP can expand or you can use a third party utility such as WinZip) I successfully viewed them in a chartplotter application called Coastal Explorer from Rose Point that supports the IHO S-57 vector chart format.

In looking at the number of charts that NOAA has converted from raster to vector, its clear that they haven't yet done all the charts currently available from NOS in raster form, but there are a number of charts for the Southern CA area, so I can't answer why you didn't find more charts available.

As a side note I'm not too impressed with the look of NOAA's vector charts vs. say Nobeltec's Passport series, but they're free, so I guess I shouldn't look the horse in the mouth...

In looking at the discussion between you and Mary it seems that Mary is attempting to download the raw GIS info from NOAA (from another part of their web site than the chart download section). She seems to be using the NOAA Direct to GIS page at http://ocs-spatial.ncd.noaa.gov/encdirect/viewer.htm, which allows you to download specific GIS cells rather than charts.

A note from that site:

The NOAA ENC� Direct to GIS web site provides comprehensive access to display and download all available large scale (1:150,000 or larger) NOAA ENC� data in a variety of GIS/CAD formats for non-navigational purposes using Internet mapping service technology. Nautical chart features contained within an NOAA ENC� provide a detailed representation of the U.S. coastal and marine environment. This data includes coastal topography, bathymetry, landmarks, geographic place names and marine boundaries. Features in an NOAA ENC� are limited in that they only represent the geographic region that is depicted in that particular NOAA ENC�. By aggregating nautical features from all NOAA ENC�s in the creation of GIS data, a contiguous depiction of the U.S coastal and marine environment is achieved. NOAA ENC� Direct to GIS data is available for download in the following formats:

AutoCAD DWG (r2000)
AutoCAD DXF (r2000)
Caris NTX
ESRI Arc/Info Coverage
ESRI Arc/Info Export (E00)
ESRI Arc/Info Generate
ESRI Arc/Info Shape
MapInfo MID/MIF
MapInfo TAB

Note that the info is small scale only, so you might not find the detail you are looking for...

Also, some info on how to use the Direct to GIS tool:

ENC Direct Data Order Form Help

The ENC Direct Data Order Form allows control over ENC Direct data request. Once the
desired values have been entered into the form, the "Translate Data" button
near the bottom can be clicked to start the translation.

The Data Order Form is used as follows:

* ENC Direct data is auto-selected in the order form for download. This means that
visible layers in the ENC Direct map frame are selected for download based on the
ENC Direct Map Extent. These auto-selected layers are displayed in the layers box.

* The (x,y) position of two corners of the search area rectangle can be
modified. The data coordinates are in decimal degrees of Latitude (Y)
& Longitude (X). Clicking on the "Clear Search" button clears the position
values. Clicking on the "Set Max Extent" button sets the rectangle values to
the maximum extent of the ENC Direct data.

* The smaller the map extent, the more layers that are automatically selected.
The largest map extent showing the entire data extent auto-selects COVERAGE and LAND.
Smaller areas auto-select additional layers.(zooming in)

* If multiple layers are selected at a large extent the translation may fail.

* YOU CAN NOT DOWNLOAD all the ENC Direct data at once.

* Please select fewer layers by turning layers off in the ENC Direct table of contents
or specifying a smaller search extent if you recieve download errors.

* The desired output format can be chosen from the "Format" pulldown list.

* The desired coordinate system can be selected from the "Coordinates"
pulldown list.

Hope this helps. I'll give you a ring on your cell to see how things are coming...

Mark Howe
Username: Unclemark

Post Number: 251
Posted on Monday, November 20, 2006 - 05:02 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Ted-
I tried your site and was able to zoom in on the coastline but saw nothing but coastline. No features whatsoever. The only labels were Newport Beach and San Diego.
btw I note that javascript was necessary for downloading.

Below is the GIS download site I have been attempting to no avail.
I note there are other applications available such as AutoCAD and MapInfo.

http://nauticalcharts.noaa.gov/csdl/ctp/encdirect_new.htm

Ted Lavino

Post Number: 5
Posted on Saturday, November 18, 2006 - 06:43 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

NOAA ENC's (Electronic Navigational Charts) in IHO S-57 format are available for download at http://ocsdata.ncd.noaa.gov/ChartServerV2.0/jsp/index.jsp

In looking at the specifications of ArcGIS they indicated the program supports the S-57 format to import the information from the ENC's into the ArcGIS database.

Ted Lavino

Post Number: 442
Posted on Friday, November 03, 2006 - 10:04 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sorry Mark, the stuff on that site is over my head! My knowledge is more in the implementation side rather than the development side...

Ted-
That site was very frustrating for me as well. In fact it precipitated a lot of yelling and screaming between me and ESRI when I found it required ArcEditor and ArcInfo to use the tutorial. I believe that problem has been solved now, as far as the class is concerned, but downloading charts from the encChart function is still an issue and is germaine. I'm hoping you consider it the implementation side. :-)
Thanks, Mark

Mark Howe

Post Number: 245
Posted on Wednesday, November 01, 2006 - 06:31 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks to Larry Barley, who came across this timely site.

http://dusk2.geo.orst.edu/djl/arcgis/

Ted; are you still interested in this aspect of GIS? You might be able to interpret some of the technical aspects for us.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 238
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 06:53 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I am experimenting with using this board for our GIS class. The Saddleback Blackboard doesn't seem to work very well.

Dave Tatum and I worked about 4 hours this morning on Lab 4 and had lots of fun!!! It takes a lot of time learning this.

Next session is Fri. morning, 8-10 [or so]. If you have a laptop with GIS loaded, bring it along. [I want to see how that works] :-)

Mark Howe

Post Number: 243
Posted on Monday, October 16, 2006 - 05:13 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

How to dissolve a number of items in numerous and duplicated groups into lumped together groupings:

Use the dissolve function using the input of the multiple duplicated groups and output of the lumped together group. [eg. 81 cantons as input and 7 Provinces as output]

Scroll down to statistics for things like sum of population, average density, etc.

Be real careful where the dissolved layer gets saved.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 240
Posted on Thursday, September 28, 2006 - 02:17 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Yes, we did legends.
We ended up with 2 colleges but I think 4 bogs. The fun part was figuring which of the 3 schools to drop.
The labels were tricky; once you get them into the annotation mode, you're supposed to be able to move them at will. Problem is, sometimes you have to do it several times before it decides to work.

John Fellner
Advanced Member
Username: John_fellner

Post Number: 23
Posted on Wednesday, September 27, 2006 - 07:29 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Mark,
I think this is a good idea. I finished my map for lab 4, and I ended up with 3 bogs and 2 colleges. I'm having a little trouble placing the bogs' label in readable place, I used the placement menu in the label tab under preferences but it does not work that well. Did you include a Legend? The lab assignment did not specify that it was required.
John

Marie Santo
Username: Mljgsanto

Post Number: 5
Posted on Monday, September 11, 2006 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Mark
I have not been able to get the software loaded because I have not received my book from Amazon yet. Hopefully it will come today. The software does come with the book doesn't it? I hope... Therefore, I havent been able to do the assignment nor do I have any idea how. Guess I will find out tonight. Thanks for your concern and help. See you tonight!
Marie

Mark Howe

Post Number: 226
Posted on Friday, September 08, 2006 - 06:49 am:   Edit Post Print Post

For those enrolled in GIS 110;
there is an assignment for Mon. Sept. 11. It is posted on Blackboard, but it took me a while to recall how to get there. Let me know if you have trouble.
My problem: you have to click on the class in the upper right corner of the blackboard screen. Otherwise is says there are no announcements.

Larry I will call you on my way to Redlands. :-)

Marie; Mary says you are enrolled. Have you been able to get to the assignments on Blackboard? And if so, do you have the software installed yet?

Anyone else?

Mark Howe

Post Number: 225
Posted on Tuesday, September 05, 2006 - 08:55 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks Marie, and any others thinking about jumping into this;

The first class meeting the instructor was out of state, the second meeting was pretty introductory, last night was Labor Day, so next Monday should work if you want to jump in late. So far we have Dave Tatum, Larry Barley and John Felner from the seagoing bunch. Some other recruits from the class maybe. We can get you up to speed, but as soon as it looks like you can enroll, get the program ordered from Amazon.

We could set up a study group in the learning center of the library on Wed or Thurs afternoon late, or even Monday. Late being like 4-6 or 5-7 ??

Marie Santo
Username: Mljgsanto

Post Number: 4
Posted on Thursday, August 31, 2006 - 09:33 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Mark
I am thinking about still getting into the GIS class. I know that the class has met a couple of times already, and I was wondering if you thought if I would be able to catch up. I have emailed the instructor for the APC code.
Thanks,
Marie

Mark Howe

Post Number: 223
Posted on Tuesday, August 15, 2006 - 03:33 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

There are some serious problems with the enrollments in classes this year at Saddleback. The GIS poster, below, is for an intro class in GIS which I was going to use to recruit for a Marine Ecology Survey class with the Ocean Institute. Regrettably, there are not very many students enrolling in any classes and the entire MST program is in jeopardy.

Note, this is in the GIS department, not MST. I would forsee that most students taking the Ocean Institute survey class would need to have taken this GIS class first.

If you have any interest in this subject, please sign up right away. By next week it may be too late.

Thanks, Mark

application/pdfGIS Poster
GISposter.pdf (624.0 k)

Mark Howe

Post Number: 222
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 10:10 am:   Edit Post Print Post

The text for GIS 110:
Getting to Know ArcGIS,
is available on Amazon.com for $37.77 and eligible for free shipping.

Mark Howe

Post Number: 220
Posted on Friday, August 11, 2006 - 08:56 am:   Edit Post Print Post

The syllabus and details for GIS 110 is listed under "details" and then "class website" in the class schedule. You can't go directly to the website; it tells you it doesn't exist; gotta go to details first.
I got one of my labs displayed on the home page. :-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration