Powerboat Delivery To San Francisco Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » Crew List » Powerboat Delivery To San Francisco « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Marc Hughston
Username: Hughston

Post Number: 330
Posted on Saturday, July 09, 2005 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Print Post

RE SF Delivery

OKAY you guys, need more pictures. I have gotten Kevin and Evelyn's collections. Anyone have any more? Again, I'll put these on a DVD with the video footage and send them to you.

Marc

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 329
Posted on Monday, July 04, 2005 - 02:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

The delivery trip was successful, with only a little bit of adventure, and a lot of fun. Below is a short video clip with some highlights.

video/x-ms-wmvLady Nell Clip
Lady Nell Delivery 6-05 36 Sec_256.wmv (1218.6 k)

All you guys with digital pictures from the trip should send me a CD with your pics on it - I'll incorporate your picture compilations with my video footage from the trip on put it all on a DVD!

Marc

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 328
Posted on Friday, June 24, 2005 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Print Post

SF Delivery Crew:

Can anyone help David Sheriff drop his truck off at the train station tomorrow, Saturday? Please coordinate directly with David by calling 714-396-7857.

Thanks!

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 327
Posted on Thursday, June 23, 2005 - 10:59 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

SF Delivery Update:

It's all GO.

Last minute issues with the heat exhanger and fuel tank have been resolved. Thank You David!

Everyone, please bring your own plate, utensils, and mug as on the Saddleback trips - the boat has none of this equipment aboard. I will bring all the cooking equipment and provisions, charts and nav tools.

Kevin has volunteered to bring the binocs with the internal compass - thank you.

More to come.

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 326
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 11:47 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

San Fransico Delivery Crew:

Update on PFDs.

Southwest airlines cannot transport any compressed gasses - like the CO2 cartridge in your inflatable PFD. This is true whether the item is checked or carried on. If you bring your Type 5 or Type 3 with the CO2 cartridge, count on leaving the C02 cartridge behind.

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 325
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 11:41 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

San Fransico Deliver Crew - Update

I now plan the departure time at approximately midnight on Saturday the 25th of June. Let's just pack the boat and get out of town. Many reasons why this makes sense, primarily this one: getting to Oakland early is less of a problem than getting there late, and this will leave us with many more options.

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 324
Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 11:30 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

RE SAN FRANCISCO DELIVERY
Saul left me a message asking what to bring or not bring on the delivery trip. Here are some guidelines:

First off, we'll be driving a twin engine power boat and most of life aboard will be on the inside of the cabin - that's different from the sailing trips you all are used to - though each watch will include time on lookout from the exposed bridge above. Watches will involve steering, look out, chart work and navigation, and we'll be motoring continuously through night and day.

Food and water and coffee will be aboard. I recommend you bring any foods and snacks you really want to have (I always bring Clif Bars), as well as the kind of clothing you'd bring on a Saddleback trip.

Other important items:
**Bonine, or the motion sickness medication of your choice. The motion on a powerboat is very different from that on a sailboat. Bring it, take it.
**Flashlight.
**Any Rx drugs you need for the 2 days of our trip plus 3 days additional supply.
**Digital camera. Let's capture the event.
**Cholula. Okay, guess I'll bring that.

Special Items:
I need one pair of 7x50 binoculars - and if any of you have the model with the internal compass, please let me know, and please bring them. Or, if any of you monitoring this board can loan them to this effort, please contact me.

Marc

Anonymous

Posted on Tuesday, June 21, 2005 - 10:40 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I know it's late notice, but David and I will run Lady Nell up toward Newport and back tomorrow evening, Wednesday, at 5:00PM. If you want to go along, please let me know, or just show up at the M dock on the island, slip no. 9. Call me at 949-939-8123 if you are running late, or to let you in the gate. You all are welcome to come along.

David Sheriff
Board Administrator
Username: David

Post Number: 166
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 10:41 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I am going to try to fit a run to Avalon in sometime Saturday afternoon / evening or Sunday. The trip will take around 8 hours total if nothing goes wrong. I want to test the anchor as well. I'm not particularly concerned if we do this after dark. The boat is running pretty well so I expect things to be uneventful, but we'll see. But, after all, the point of the trip is to see what breaks and fix it before we go for 50 hours solid.

I have company this weekend so I have a son to accompany me and I cannot firm up the schedule any better at this point.

I would like anyone from the crew (or anyone who wants to come) to come along. Please call me at 714-396-7857 and leave me your availability and contact number(s).

I expect to have at least 4 hours notice.

Evelyn Bankston (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Thursday, June 16, 2005 - 12:18 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I booked my flight today for the 5 pm time.

So far, no one has mentioned how we are getting to the airport. I'm assuming that those who are flying home from Oakland to OC will take a taxi or shuttle to the airport together. Please comment.

Evelyn

saul sanchez
Username: Saul

Post Number: 4
Posted on Monday, June 13, 2005 - 09:12 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I am still going. I have some relatives living in San Francisco so I'll spend a few vacation days there and probably will take the train back. Life is tough.

MMassaro (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, June 12, 2005 - 09:36 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I've purchased the same ticket for the 5 p.m. flight.

I'll be there.

Michael Massaro

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 318
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:56 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

At this time, I plan a 0500 departure on Sunday morning. Let's load Saturday PM. Spending the night aboard is fine!

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 317
Posted on Saturday, June 11, 2005 - 09:52 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Southwest Airline Fares:

SW Fares

I've booked the 5 PM flight as did Evelyn, and that it probably the most conservative way to go. My experience with Southwest tells me that if we get in early, there's a good chance at hopping on an earlier flight, or taking the later one if we get in late.

I recommend that whatever flight you book, you make it refundable and changeable so that you have flexibility without a huge penalty if our arrival time changes.

Marc

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 316
Posted on Friday, June 10, 2005 - 11:35 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

RE SAN FRANCISCO DELIVERY - UPDATE

David and I took Lady Nell for a quick spin on Wednesday, and she's in good shape.

Please reconfirm with me that you are going. Current crew list follows:
Marc Hughston - Captain
David Sheriff - Mate
Horace Wheatley - Owner
Kevin Bardool
Evelyn Bankston
Michael Massaro
Evan Carroll
Saul Sanchez

Thanks, Marc

Evelyn Bankston (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Tuesday, June 07, 2005 - 10:28 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi guys,

For those interested in flying home from Oakland to OC after the delivery on June 28th, I called Southwest and here are the flight times:

Depart Arrival
4:00 pm 5:20 pm
5:00 pm 6:20 pm
8:05 pm 9.25 pm

The flights are listed at $113 for a changeable and refundable ticket. You can call Southwest directly at 1-800-531-5600 to save any fees a travel agency may charge. Of course, this price may change if you wait till the last minute to book.

I talked to Marc today and he recommended booking the 5:00 pm flight. We can change it if we need to, due to weather, etc.

Looks like I'm the only female on board. Sorry guys, you won't be able to run around in the buff on THIS trip. Te, he!! LOL!! But you'll eat well, I know how to cook.

Looking forward to seeing old friends and meeting new ones.

:-)Evelyn

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 313
Posted on Tuesday, May 31, 2005 - 12:21 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

New Crew List:

Marc Hughston - Captain
David Sheriff - Mate
Horace Wheatley - Owner
Kevin Bardool
Evelyn Bankston
Michael Massaro
Evan Carroll
Saul Sanchez

On Standby:
Evelyn's sister

New Sea Trial dates:
Unknown
Props and batteries need some work, David is hoping to firm up schedule for these. I'll keep you posted.

David Sheriff
Board Administrator

Post Number: 165
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 06:34 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

By the way, yes, there are six berths, but two of them are in the main cabin right across from the galley on top of the dining table. If we're doing watches of two or three, its no problem if the weather is good enough to operate from the upper bridge, but its a choice between either seating or sleeping if we're piloting from the main cabin.

There's plenty of floor space in the aft cabin which could sleep two more as long as we exercise enough discipline to keep gear in lockers rather than all over the floor. Lots of lockers. Cushions from the upper deck would make a reasonable sleeping surface.

David Sheriff
Board Administrator

Post Number: 164
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 06:21 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I am planning to return by train. The railroads have tended to be much less fussy about what you check or carry as baggage and I have had no trouble with tools, flares or the compressed gas cylinders for my PFD on a previous vessel delivery. I hope mindless security has not taken over since as it has at airports. If anyone else would like me to transport their inflatable PFDs, let be know so I can figure out if I can accomodate you. Or you can take your chances having your stuff confiscated at the airport.

It takes a day, but I suspect I'll be ready for a long snooze at the end of the trip.

I intend to put my stuff on the boat early and take the train down either that morning or the evening before, leaving my car at the Fullerton station. I'll probably walk from the San Juan Capistrano or San Clemente station, or maybe I can bum a ride. its only a couple of miles, so its no big deal. Walk thru town or along the beach. . . .

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 312
Posted on Monday, May 30, 2005 - 02:36 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Here's the crew list:
Marc Hughston - Captain
David Sheriff - Mate
Horace Wheatley - Owner
Ted Lavino
Clare
Kevin Bardool
Evelyn Bankston
Michael Massaro

On Standby:
Evan Carroll
Evelyn's sister

The boat has berths for 6, and we'll have 3 on watch at any given time, so five berths will always be available. We'll have 3 hour watches in daylight, and 2 hour watches in darkness. The basic idea is to push straight through without stopping, in about 50 hours.

Expected departure time is Sunday morning the 26th, but I don't yet know whether it'll be a fisherman start or something more like 0800. I'll refine departure time by about Thursday the 23rd when I have a good handle on weather conditions for our passage.

Final destination is Oakland, Jack London Square Marina, North Basin, slip 210. Address for the marina is 38 Webster St., Oakland, 94607 510-834-4591.

Questions? Comments? Let me know!

Marc

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 311
Posted on Tuesday, May 24, 2005 - 11:05 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I'm going down to check out the boat today at 1:00. Name is "Lady Nell." Location is DP Harbor, on the Island, East Basin, slip M9. Give me a call if you want to come by and take a look, 949-939-8123.

Below are some pictures and specs from her listing with Dana Island Yacht sales, and a link to her page.

Lady Nell 1

Lady Nell 2

Lady Nell 3

Lady Nell 4

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listing/pl_boat_full_detail.jsp?slim=broker&boat_id=1248787&hosturl=danaislandyachts&&ywo=danaislandyachts&&units=Feet&access=Public&listing_id=5184&url=&hosturl=danaislandyachts&&ywo=danaislandyachts&

Ted Lavino
Username: Tlavino

Post Number: 269
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 02:18 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Marc, I am, although I'd like to check out the vessel prior to committing :-). Do you know the name or location?

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 309
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:49 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Ted, are you interested in coming on the trip? I think Evelyn is thinking about it too. Anyone else? More people means an easier watch schedule, and most likely a faster passage!

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 308
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:44 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Ted- gotta ask David. Somewhere in the DP Harbor. He's been working on the boat, but I haven't seen it yet.

Ted Lavino
Username: Tlavino

Post Number: 268
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:15 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Hi Marc, Where does she sit at this point?

Ted

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 307
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 12:07 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Good to hear it Saul. Yes, please come along!

By the way, anybody want to take a look at the boat on Tuesday the 24th? I'm planning to meet up with David at some point during the day.

saul sanchez
Username: Saul

Post Number: 3
Posted on Thursday, May 19, 2005 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Marc,

I can go also if you still need help, I rearranged a few dates and am able to help out. Let me know.

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 306
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 10:05 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Kevin, you're good to go!
Word 6, 7, 8, 9, 10

David Sheriff
Board Administrator

Post Number: 163
Posted on Wednesday, May 18, 2005 - 09:24 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I would think pre-qualifications are pretty minimal. This is a teriffic learning opportunity, sort of a trip to Santa Barbara Island to the third power. Lots of helm and watch time. Latest navigation and radar equipment. Adventure. Good company. Inexpensive. Less cramped than a sailboat.

Kevin Bardool
Intermediate Member
Username: Kevinb

Post Number: 13
Posted on Tuesday, May 17, 2005 - 10:14 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Marc -

Would I be qualified to join you? If so, please count me in! Let me know and I will make necessary arrangements!!

Thanks - Kevin

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 296
Posted on Wednesday, May 11, 2005 - 02:11 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

DANA POINT TO SAN FRANCISCO BAY!!

Join David Sheriff and me at the end of June to deliver a 36' twin engine trawler from here to Oakland.

Planned departure date is Sunday, June 26 2005. Voyage will take about 2.5 days, maybe longer depending on conditions.

I'm looking for at least 4 volunteers to help stand watch - food will be covered, but you'll need to arrange return transportation. Right now a refundable and changeable flight back to Orange County on Southwest is $103.00 That's what I'm doing.

Please contact me ASAP if interested!
949-939-8123
Marc

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration