Women's Sailing Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » Women's Sailing » Women's Sailing « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
Sailing the Greek IslesDixie Massaro09-24-06  02:04 pm
You are invited to the WORSA meetingSailor Dixie01-30-06  09:36 am
  Start New Thread        

Susie Campbell
Username: Susie

Post Number: 146
Posted on Friday, May 05, 2006 - 09:11 am:   Edit Post Print Post

The Newport Ensenada Race of 2006
Campbell's Sloop

Captain Noodle and first mate chicken Gumbo along with their crew wild rice, eggplant, sweet pea, beef and barley, cream of celery and chicken and stars, set sail on April 28th for their first shot at the big Newport- Ensenada race on Campbell’s Sloop! After 3 months of practicing their sailing maneuvers with the spinnaker, they were confident and secure, knowing they could handle anything that came their way! They practiced in every kind of weather situation, from small craft warnings in the dark, to windless days. In this race you never know what kind of weather you’ll be encountering so you must be prepared for all kinds of situations. The crew took this race serious and started doing push-ups on a regular basis. They read articles on sail, shape and trim, studied up on how they could tame that monster spinnaker sail when encountering lots of wind, they even sailed all the way to San Diego for one of their practices. The crew in this batch of soup was trained for all positions. Chicken Gumbo could do eggplants job, sweet pea could do captain noodles job, wild rice could do chicken and stars job! Captain Noodles plan was to have this crew so well trained, that she…at her ripe old ago of 49, could go down below and take a nap at anytime! This strategic plan of training paid off big time, in what ended up to be one of the longest races ever!! Normally you’re sipping on margaritas by Saturday afternoon but not his year! We were sailing along the beautiful Coronado islands at that time; being entertained by a flock of little yellow birds, pilot whales and dolphins. During the hardest part of the race, these little creatures came to lift our spirits!
Unfortunately, we lost Chicken and stars to a very bad case of seasickness. At one point in the race we were wondering if she was still alive and discussing just how you deal with a dead body when entering a foreign country. To our surprise, after a good 10 hours of being sick, she mysteriously resurrected and jumped into the race again! There was never one comment made about turning back or quitting the race. Even after watching Dennis Connors turn around and go into his homeport of San Diego, we persevered to the finish line. After 37 hours, the crew of Campbell’s Sloop crossed the finish line at 1500 hours on Sunday Morning! We cheered so loud, I’m certain we woke the entire town of Ensenada! We were only 1 hour and 6 minutes behind Solmate, our competitor for the Caroline Star trophy. With 99 boats behind us and 145 ahead; (PHRF Category) we felt we did a darn good job of competing in this year’s race!

dmassaro (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Thank you, David, for setting up this topic for women sailors.

I've been asked by Aventura Sailing Club to help them with the women's sailing program. I'd like to hear from you about what you'd like to see offered.

They already offer monthly women's day sails, and I'd like to add to that. You can post your ideas here, or you can email me at dmassaro@cox.net with any suggestions. Events would be held at Aventura's new facility at the Dana Point Harbor, but anyone would be welcome to attend.

Please let me hear from you.

Dixie Massaro

Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 10:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post

A group of women are going to Catalina next weekend, leaving Dana Point Harbor on Thursday, August 11, and returning on Sunday, August 14, 2005.

If you are interested in getting a group together and accompanying us, please let me know. We can caravan over. dmassaro@cox.net

Annette Cook
Username: Captaincookrn

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 01:42 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Dixie, I wanted to be the first to respond, but this is the 3rd attempt. Once again, good luck with the women's sailing, and I will help however I can. The spinnaker class Susie and I taught went well, and I would be glad to teach it for only a small fee for the booklet. If you want to get a group together, let me know. Susie, I'm sure, would like to participate, too.

Unregistered guest
Posted on Friday, August 05, 2005 - 07:55 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Annette, that sounds great. I'm sure that we can get a boat and sails and put it together for a small fee. Susie will help. Anyone interested? I sure am.

Susie Campbell

Post Number: 136
Posted on Saturday, August 20, 2005 - 09:37 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

How did your trip to Catalina go? Will you two be racing this Thursday? This will be our last Thursay race for the Sloop. Annette; I'll bring your charts of Greece with me to the DPYC Thursday. I'll bring pictures of the kayaking trip we just got back from in Cananda. It was the best trip ever!!!! We need to all go next year!!! See you Thursday!

Unregistered guest
Posted on Sunday, August 21, 2005 - 09:43 am:   Edit Post Print Post

We had the best time in Catalina. Just four women, one of whom didn't have much sailing experience. We motored over to Avalon Thursday morning found it full as well as Descanso and Hamilton--full to the brim. So we motored on to Isthmus and were able to get a mooring in the early afternoon. We had a heck of a time mooring with our stern to the 19 knots of wind--kept getting pushed over the line. But with a little help from the Harbor Patrol, we secured the mooring and had a wonderful time. There were moorings available through Friday morning. Some boats rafted up and many were anchored in front of Bird Rock. Rafting up seemed like a good idea as long as you have plenty of fenders.

I'm back at work now on Thursday nights, so won't be racing, but Michael will take out Manana on Thursday and would welcome crew, experienced or not. Just call him at 949 201-7108 to let him know you'd like to join him on Th, 8/25, at 5:30 p.m. Manana is now in L12 just outside the Coffee Importers in Dana Point Harbor.

Good luck ladies!

On another topic, I'm inviting John Young, a wonderful and interesting person as well as an experienced racer, who recently completed the Transpac over to dinner (potluck) to talk about the experience. I'm thinking of a Friday night in September at my home in Dana Point. Anyone (men and women welcome) who would like to come, please join us! Email me at dmassaro@cox.net to let me know you're interested, and I'll firm up the date with John and give you directions. It's an excuse for sailors to get together for a party. That's always fun! We can also talk about what activities you'd like to have offered through Aventura for women sailors, and get planning!

Dixie

april salem
Username: April

Post Number: 122
Posted on Monday, August 22, 2005 - 04:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Just got back Sunday with my all girl boat for Sea Scouts, I was the only adult with teens. We always do night crossings and I actually did learn how to sail "alone" from 1am until 5am when I moored. Interesting.

I had her motor/sailing with a very nicely trimmed main and she was going 7 knots. I logged and charted (a must for us) with a flashlight in my mouth and one hand and foot on the helm.

So I was over at isthmus during the last weekend too! Went to a yacht club BBQ and kayaked from isthmus to Emerald Bay and back...good work out!

Would love more sea time---taking the weather class tonight!

Susie Campbell

Post Number: 137
Posted on Thursday, August 25, 2005 - 09:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sailor Ladies;

How about a trip to CATALINA on the Sloop and Manana over the week-end of Oct. 7-9. There's a JAZZ Festival going on then. Check out their web site. www.catalina.com/main.html
Click on home, then Activities then Events Calendar and scroll to Oct.

Let us know if you can make this GREAT event! Put it on your calendars now and start practicing your dance moves! HA!

Susie

Sailor Dixie (Unregistered Guest)
Unregistered guest
Posted on Wednesday, October 05, 2005 - 12:05 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Anyone up for a night sail on the next full moon? The sun sets on October 17 at 6:14 p.m. and the moon rises at 6:25 p.m. I'm not sure what direction it's rising from, but weather permitting, we could go out and sail a couple of hours. Let me know if you'd like to come aboard or caravan along. Dixie dmassaro@cox.net

Susie Campbell

Post Number: 138
Posted on Wednesday, January 25, 2006 - 08:38 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

I'm taking the Sloop to San Diego for a little adventure Sail!
Anybody want to join me for all or part of this journey?

Departure Date: Thursday, Feb. 23 Time: 0500

Sailing all over San Diego Harbor on Sat. and Sunday the 25th and 26th. You can always drive there and meet up with me for the week-end.

Returning home on Monday the 27th.

Let me know if you're interested and I'll give you more details.

Susie

Marie Santo
Username: Mljgsanto

Post Number: 1
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 12:58 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Sorry I missed your sail to San Diego, Susie. Let me know if you do it again, i would love it
Marie

Susie Campbell

Post Number: 144
Posted on Friday, April 14, 2006 - 02:29 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Are you the famous Maria from Pilgrimage that I was calling Jackie?

Marie Santo

Post Number: 2
Posted on Saturday, April 15, 2006 - 10:08 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Yes, Cathy, that's me, but without the "a". Just Marie. LOL!

Susie Campbell

Post Number: 145
Posted on Sunday, April 16, 2006 - 09:20 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Just Marie? You need a sailing name! Do you have an e-mail address? Can I put you on my thursday Beer Can racing list?

Susanna Leeano Campbello

Marie Santo

Post Number: 3
Posted on Monday, April 17, 2006 - 07:50 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Ok Susanna, you can give me a sailing name! My email address is mljgsanto@aol.com. I would love to be on the list, as long as you can put up with my abilities. Thanks!

Marie,(or whatever):-)

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration