America's Cup Update Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » New Thoughts » America's Cup Update « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Eric Gritzmacher
Advanced Member
Username: eneveaux

Post Number: 23
Posted on Thursday, September 13, 2012 - 02:24 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks for this. I was at the 1988 race in San Diego on a chartered boat. Couldn't see much as they keep spectators pretty far away. Sailboat racing was pretty boring to watch until a few years ago when technology allowed people to follow the boats. If you watched any of the Volvo around world race you would have seen how much more enjoyable it is. About 10 years ago I was the guest of a member of the New York Yacht Club and got to see the America's Cup trophy room which has a table that held the cup now sitting empty. When members go into the club, the first stop is always to the cup room where they say a little prayer hoping to see it there again one day. Quite a scene.

Marc Hughston
Username: hughston

Post Number: 816
Posted on Wednesday, September 12, 2012 - 11:27 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

America’s Cup Update

The 34th America’s Cup is not just coming to San Francisco Bay, it’s already here. Events have been taking place on San Francisco Bay since late August 2012, and they will continue through September of 2013 (see schedule of events below). Featuring the world’s fastest boats, the AC72 catamarans, and the world’s best sailors, this is shaping up to be an event more interesting and exciting than any of us sailors have seen yet. If the 34th America’s Cup has been off your radar, I want to give you a reason to pay attention!

You should spend some time on website to get up to speed: http://www.americascup.com/en/

First, Here’s Some History

The America’s Cup is the oldest trophy in sports, dating back to 1851. Dominated by big money and the best sailors since it’s beginning, the AC once belonged to America and the New York Yacht Club (for 132 years) – or so it seemed.

Leaving America: In 1983, Australian skipper John Bertrand bested San Diego’s Dennis Conner, and the Cup left America for Fremantle.

Back to America: In 1987, Conner delivered a shut-out victory of 4-0 to the Aussies, and the Cup came back. The Kiwis though, found a loophole in the Deed of Gift and demanded an immediate challenge in 1988. You may remember the result. Conner’s catamaran beat the 90’ Kiwi boat in a best of three series, and after numerous court challenges, Dennis Conner retained the Cup.

1992: I was on the water in San Diego myself for some of this. In a US defender series, Dennis Conner lost the right to defend the Cup to Billionaire Bill Koch. Remember A3 and Koch’s Cuben fiber? Paul Cayard and Italy’s Il Moro de Venezia became the challenger, and succumbed to Koch’s skipper Buddy Melges, the wizard of Zenda. America retained the Cup.

Back Down Under - 1995 and beyond with The Kiwis: In San Diego, Sir Peter Blake’s New Zealand Black Magic team, with Russell Coutts at the helm wrested the Cup from the defender partnership of Dennis Conner / Paul Cayard, bringing it to the land of the Maori. In the 30th America’s Cup in 2000, Coutts again retained the Cup beating challenger Luna Rossa (current 2013 AC challenger), equaling the record for most consecutive America’s Cup wins set by Charlie Barr 100 years earlier.

The Cup Goes to Europe in 2003: Coutts left New Zealand to join Ernesto Bertarelli’s Swiss Team Alinghi as challenger, and Larry Ellison’s BMW ORACLE Racing team came on the scene as another challenger. In the challenger series, Coutts and Alinghi bested Ellison and BMW ORACLE, earning the right to challenge the defender, New Zealand. In the end, Coutts and Alinghi swept the 31st America’s Cup Match race 5-0 against New Zealand, and took the America’s Cup to Europe for the first time.

32nd America’s Cup in Valencia, Spain, 2007: I think this is when everyone I knew, including me, was already asleep on the America’s Cup.

33rd America’s Cup in Valencia, Spain, 2010: Huh? Oh, after Larry Ellison and BMW Oracle Racing won the match on their 90 foot trimaran with its rigid wing sail, I saw a small article in a sailing magazine about the event. Holy smokes! The America’s Cup was coming back to America!!!

34th America’s Cup in San Francisco, California: Everything is happening right here and now. We’ve had AC45 catamarans racing on the bay with a series in late August, and the next ACWS (America’s Cup World Series) event is coming up October 2-7, 2012. It’s hard to keep up with these AC45s, even when you have twin 350s on your 40 foot motor cat, or so I’m told. I’m on the Port Supply team scrambling to keep race management and the sailing teams supplied with all they need. It’s rewarding and exciting.

These are the highlights. For more detail, go to: http://www.americascup.com/en/about/history

More to come.

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration