Post Number: 24
|Posted on Monday, November 05, 2012 - 10:17 am: ||
David: glad to hear you are doing well. Must be a little tough not being able to sail but sounds like there are other distractions. Where in Idaho are you? I have a friend that just moved to a place near Spirit Lake.
Post Number: 349
|Posted on Sunday, November 04, 2012 - 07:11 pm: ||
Great fun. I do miss it, but there's plenty going on in Idaho. I have flowing water 30' out my back door. 10 ft wide and 6 inches deep, more or less.
Wood ducks arrived today. They are more nimble than the mallards and can land right on the finch feeder. Mallards wait for finches and pigeons to kick out seed, so they're miffed.
Post Number: 820
|Posted on Saturday, November 03, 2012 - 11:42 pm: ||
Santa Cruz to San Francisco Delivery Write up
From Santa Cruz Harbor to Marina Bay Yacht Harbor, Richmond, SF Bay
We just delivered ProMotion to her new home for a few months in the SF Bay, from the Santa Cruz Harbor where she lives. She is a Santa Cruz 40, a lightweight racer/cruiser somewhere in the neighborhood of thirty years old. From her new residence, ProMotion will be venturing out onto the San Francisco bay mainly for West Marine Associates to get time on the water and observe the America’s Cup 72’s practicing.
ProMotion is wet and fast under sail. Going to windward, spray hits the helm regularly and in the rough, the bow dips down and a big curl of whitewater drenches the cockpit. She has a knife-edge bow, a baby stay and running backstays, a spindly and lightweight mast, a ventilated boom, and hydraulics for the back stay, baby stay, outhaul, and vang. I really like this boat. She’s old though, and she has issues. Did I say she’s wet on deck? She’s wet down below.
The Delivery Plan – working back from desired arrival time
Once the weekend of the 20th was picked, I went looking for the best time to arrive at the Golden Gate. I saw from the NOAA current predictions on-line that there was a slack before ebb at 06:55 Sunday morning. The max ebb current at 09:33 was only 1.1 kts, and slack before flood was sometime after 1100, so I knew I had a very broad window for the approach. If we got there early, we’d have a flood current of 3 kts at 03:00, and the worst it would get if we were late was the max ebb of 1.1 kts at 09:33. If we had no engine at that time, I figured we could sail in against the ebb and would have a flood current later in the day if things were really slow. I had to work back from that arrival window to decide on the departure time.
We had about 70 NM to go to reach the Gate, and a 20:00 departure was my first guesstimate, assuming we’d be faster than 6 kts of speed made good (SMG). I watched the forecasts for the three days before our departure and found that each day the predicted NW winds were getting stronger. When I saw forecasts of NW winds 25-30 kts the day before and the day of departure, I asked crew to get to the boat earlier and moved up the planned departure 2 hrs to 18:00 Saturday. I had been figuring a twelve hour transit, give or take, and to accomplish that we had to average 5.83 knots SMG. Most important in my mind was passing under the gate at slack before ebb, at 06:55, and preferably no later. I had also made train reservations for 1:35 PM on Sunday, and we had to find our marina and slip, settle with the Harbormaster, and catch a cab to the train station - we did not have much flexibility in our desired schedule. Of course I was ready for things to go horribly wrong, and I had the tides, currents, and the train schedule for the rest of the day into the night if they were needed.
The Delivery – Man, this is a wet boat
It was me, Eric Stoller, Theresa Fry, and my old college buddy Steve Fisher. Theresa was at the helm to begin with, and we quickly went from full main to the first reef, and then the second reef. As the sun was setting and the seas were building, we took turns putting on layers and getting into our foulies. I was late getting my bibs on, and my jeans got soaked when we shipped a big wave over the starboard bow. That really made me regret my decision to bring just the jeans I was wearing. I went below and got into my breathable bibs with just my skivvies and bare legs, wet socks and sea boots. That was an act of faith I had not yet performed.
There’s one thing I have gotten used to and love on night passages to the Northern Channel Islands: a nice big hot and steamy lasagna, with garlic bread from the oven. It starts as the sun goes down and you can smell it from the helm. Oh, that’s good. Not this night though. We had no oven (I’d removed it and the repair plan had been scuttled). We had sandwiches, trail mix, dried fruit, granola bars, and hot pots filled with hot coffee and hot water. It was gonna be a long night.
Theresa and Eric took the first watch. 3 hours on, 3 off. Steve and I were going to be on at 22:00, but I stayed in the cockpit for a while. Theresa was still at the helm after several hours and said she loved it, but she was getting a workout. She had her hood up and the weather flap over her face, but I could see big beads of saltwater from the spray on her nose and cheeks.
Earlier I had stretched my wet jeans out over the engine compartment, and I went below to see if they were drying out. No progress. In fact, my jeans looked even more wet than before.
Steve and I came on watch and as I was gearing up, I noticed things were pretty wet below. There was water in puddles on the low side of the cabin sole and the chart table was wet. 20 strokes on the bilge pump though and things were good. Plotting our DR was challenging; the wet chart tearing under my pencil. My log entries in pen were barely legible. I found myself sprawled out with my feet looking for purchase on the low side with my chest on the chart table, just waiting for the moment when I could write two or three numbers to record our lat / lon between the rise and fall of the swell.
The true wind remained in the mid twenties but increased with larger swell after passing Pt. Ano Nuevo. We continued with double reefed main and motor-sailed wind angles of 30 degrees apparent to keep the main drawing and adding power. It was a clear night with the stars blazing and the ¾ moon setting, and we’d tack in toward shore on a better angle to the seas and back out again three of four miles. We did this to keep up our boat speed because this old speedster weighs only 10,000 pounds, and she would slow to about 3 or 4 knots (even at 3,000 RPM) when heading where our destination lay, directly into the wind and waves.
After the watch change at 01:00, I climbed into the aft starboard berth with my bag pulled up over my wet bibs. My socks were wet from sweating inside my sea boots, but I didn’t have the energy to change them. ProMotion has a fairly flat bottom, and her motion in the seaway was not kind. I tried to reposition as we changed tacks, either rolling up against the starboard curve of her hull, or settling my head near the board that kept me from slipping into her steering gear, with the 40 horse Yanmar chugging away at my left knee. Occasionally, we’d ship a big wave that would run down the decks and a couple of times I heard and felt seawater streaming down from the high side, splashing me with iridescent sparkles. A sudden lunge off a big wave woke me with a falling sensation and a bang, and I listened for the sound of snapping wires and rending metal, but we held together and I realized I had actually been able to get a couple of winks. Unable to get real sleep, I got back up at 03:30. We’d finally gotten to that point on the coast where we were heading directly north, and the NW wind was now enabling us to ease the main sheet a bit and make 6-7 knots over the ground. We’d gained on our ETA and I asked Eric to slow it down a bit to ease the motion over the big swell and wind waves. Steve and I were on again at 04:00.
We weren’t that far from the Gate now and I chose to enter the channel about three miles out. The sun would be coming up after we passed under the Golden Gate Bridge, and I asked Steve to wake up Eric and Theresa so they could see it all. The wind died and the water glassed off and with very little traffic, we passed under the Gate at about 06:50, 5 minutes before my desired arrival time.
We pulled in to the Marina Bay Yacht Harbor in Point Richmond about 08:30, and that’s where the next part of the project began – clean the boat and de-rig, settle with the Harbor Master and get our tails back down to Santa Cruz by cab, train, and bus some time around 4:00 PM. I nearly fell asleep at dinner with my neighbors. All in all, it was a good trip.
Post Number: 819
|Posted on Friday, October 12, 2012 - 09:35 pm: ||
Santa Cruz to San Francisco Delivery
Oct. 20-21 8PM departure, appx 10AM arrival or earlier.
After talking with Mark Howe today, I realized you might not be sure who is leading the delivery. I am, and I could really use the help of one or two more sailors who are interested in this sort of adventure.
Skipper: Marc Hughston
First Mate: Eric Stoller
Crew so far:
Our final destination is Marina Bay Yacht Harbor, in Point Richmond. Transportation will be provided back to Santa Cruz Harbor. Details for the passage are below.
This is going to be a good low-key adventure with friends and any new and experienced sailors who may want to join. We'll stand watches throughout, and sail under the Golden Gate bridge in the morning. Navigation at night and dealing with ship traffic at the Gate will help build your experience and confidence.
Interested? Please contact me at HughstonMarc@gmail.com
Post Number: 818
|Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 10:23 pm: ||
Forgot to mention, there is no fee, but you must pay your way to and from the starting point. Food expenses will be shared.
Post Number: 817
|Posted on Thursday, October 11, 2012 - 10:14 pm: ||
I'm looking for crew on very short notice for a delivery from Santa Cruz Harbor, in the Monterey Bay, to San Fransisco Bay beginning on Saturday October 20, 2012 at 8PM.
The boat: Santa Cruz 40, auxiliary sail. Belongs to Randy Repass, founder and Chairman of West Marine.
Departure point: Santa Cruz Harbor, 20:00 Saturday October 20th.
Arrival point: A marina at Point Richmond in the SF bay, details to follow.
"It's about 70 NM from Santa Cruz to the Golden Gate, and our final destination is a marina another hour or two into the bay. I'm figuring on about a 12 hour transit to the Gate, and we may get there sooner if conditions allow. We have a really broad window for arrival given the currents at the Gate on the 21st, from 0300 to well past noon with the only adverse current maxing at 0933 at just 1.1 knots. If the engine quits, we can do it under sail easily. I'm arranging for transportation back down to the Santa Cruz Harbor."
Interest? Questions? Experience is preferred but check in with me on this discussion board.
Best regards, Marc