Jimmy Cornell's Blue Planet Odyssey Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » New Thoughts » Jimmy Cornell's Blue Planet Odyssey « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Ted Lavino
Username: tlavino

Post Number: 214
Posted on Monday, August 12, 2013 - 10:58 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Folks, a note from Jimmy Cornell - though you might be interested:

The Blue Planet Odyssey has taken off in an impressive way and the reaction from sailors, the media and anyone who has heard about this unique event has been invariably enthusiastic. The Blue Planet Odyssey project could not have been launched at a more opportune moment as in recent months several parts of the world have been affected by natural disasters, whether the unprecedented floods in large areas of the United Kingdom, prolonged droughts in Africa, the erosion of coastal areas in Bangladesh due to rising sea levels, the enormous damage and loss of life caused by super-storm Sandy from Haiti to the US east coast, or the accelerating shrinking of the Arctic icecap. All these factors have contributed to a remarkable change in public opinion as people throughout the world are forced to accept that climate change is a reality that can no longer be denied. Our global mission has thus gained an immediate significance and while our contribution to raising awareness about climate change may be regarded as modest, its role is nonetheless important.

On a personal level, the start of the Blue Planet Odyssey will mark 40 years of my cruising life. My first Aventura was launched in London on 20 July 1974 and the Blue Planet Odyssey will start from London on 20 July 2014. During these four eventful decades I have not only realised my childhood dream of sailing the oceans, but have also managed to combine it with my professional life, as a journalist, writer and event organiser. I have sailed to some of the remotest parts of the globe and have been privileged to encounter some of the most isolated communities. Therefore I have decided that for me the Blue Planet Odyssey will be payback time. I want to show my gratitude to those people all over the world who have welcomed me, as well as countless other sailors, with warmth, friendship and generosity. As this Odyssey calls at places where peopleís lives are already affected by climate change, we want them to know that cruising sailors care for them and empathise with their concerns.

Over the years I have been fortunate to initiate several successful projects but not one of them could have come to fruition without the generous help of my family, friends and like-minded people. The Blue Planet Odyssey will be no exception as I am in the process of putting together a powerful team to manage and run this complex event, which brings together a number of exceptional people with a wide array of talents, skills and professional backgrounds, including my daughter Doina with whom I have worked on many projects in the past and who will act as Event Coordinator. Although not directly involved, both Gwenda and Ivan have agreed to lend their support. However, it is my grandchildren Nera and Dan who should be introduced to you because it is for them, and their generation, that I decided to put retirement on hold and stage this Odyssey. Participants in all my previous round the world events ended up as a large family with strong bonds being forged while being part of a joint adventure.

Last year, while preparing a presentation of the Blue Planet Odyssey at the Seven Seas Cruising Associationís annual meeting in Florida, I was asked to summarize the ten most important reasons why anyone should decide to be part of the Blue Planet Odyssey. I will end this message by listing what I believe should be reasons why you should join this great adventure.

Ten reasons why you should be part of the BLUE PLANET ODYSSEY
1. Sail around the world not just to fulfill your dream of completing a circumnavigation but do it for a higher purpose: to help raise awareness of the effects of climate change.
2. Carry a message of friendship and goodwill to some of the most endangered places on the planet and show those people that the outside world, represented by us cruising sailors, cares about them and is concerned for their future.
3. Take part in local community projects in the places visited by the Odyssey.
4. Take an active part in a scientific research program dealing with the most immediate effects of climate change.
5. Participate in an educational program aimed at school children worldwide.
6. Use this unique opportunity to involve your local community, school, radio station, TV channel, newspaper, current work place and colleagues in this worthwhile project.
7. Sail in the company of like-minded people who share your concern for the future of our planet.
8. Sail in an organized event where some of the tedious aspects of cruising are taken care of by the organizers, and enjoy the security of sailing as part of a larger group, with the benefit of support in emergencies and help from fellow participants.
9. Be part of a great adventure and grasp this opportunity to do it before it is too late.
10. Be able to tell your children, grandchildren, friends, neighbours and colleagues that you have at least tried to do your little bit for the future of the planet.

If you would like to register an interest in joining the Blue Planet Odyssey, please email info@blueplanetodyssey.com and you will be sent more information including the Provisional Regulations and Conditions of Entry.

I wish you, your family, and crew all the best in 2013 and beyond!

Jimmy Cornell

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration