Northern Channel Islands Trip 10-9-13 Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » New Thoughts » Northern Channel Islands Trip 10-9-13 « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Marc Hughston
Username: hughston

Post Number: 824
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

This has never happened to me. In transit to SBI from Smugglers' Cove on SCI, Plead Control contacted me on VHF 16 to ask our intended destination. Santa Barbara Island was my reply.

A large official looking vessel was steaming toward us at high speed at that very moment. Plead Control requested I alter my course to 083 for the next 20 miles, and we complied. The vessel steaming toward us immediately altered course and headed back towards other vessels nearby. It was some kind of live fire exercise. We could hear and feel the boom boom boom coming from the direction of San Nicolas, to starboard, some 36 NM distant.

As it turns out, the course change improved our wind angle and we set the chute heading for SBI. We arrived too late in the day for going ashore, but SBI was as magical as always and we settled in for the evening with appetizers and the usual dinner prep - carne asada tacos this time.

Marc Hughston
Username: hughston

Post Number: 823
Posted on Tuesday, October 15, 2013 - 08:32 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

The Spot device is pretty cool. Here is what we ended up with from Spot after our 5-day Northern Channel Islands trip Oct. 9-13, 2013, courtesy of Jeff Mongelli:

http://www.findmespot.com/spotadventures/index.php/view_adventure?tripid=326485

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration