Tide Pool Creatures Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » New Thoughts » Tide Pool Creatures « Previous Next »

markhowe
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 02:54 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Another test of the stinging cells is to touch the tentacles to the white parts of your body. Like the underside of an arm for instance. The skin is thinner there and you might get a little tingling sensation. Probably nicer than kissing one. But probably the most you will get is a few minutes of itching.
Even tho Vellela resembles the man-o-war it is not very closely related. [the Portogee is a siphonophore which has a lot more potency. Surfers know a local version as 'sea wasps" that look like "jellyfish tentacles" without the body. but even so, more of an itch than a sting.]

hughston (hughston)
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:55 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Also, Charles sent this,

"I searched velalla on the net and found this interesting picture"

http://bonita.mbnms.nos.noaa.gov/../RESEARCH/monprograms.html

http://bonita.mbnms.nos.noaa.gov/photos/critters/thickvelella.jpg

hughston (hughston)
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 11:50 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Feeling good! I chose not to touch the underside of the Vellella vellela, being vaguely reminded of a man-o-war, and now I'm glad I didn't. Sounds like these things are common, but it's the first time I've seen one.

Charles
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 10:31 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Jellyfish Warning to Public
Members of the public are being warned not to touch thousands of dead jellyfish washed up on two Pembrokeshire beaches.
The jellyfish is called Vellela Vellela, more commonly known as 'By-the-wind-sailor'.
They are rare in British waters, normally being found along the coastline of southern California. Prevailing westerly winds are thought to have accounted for their presence locally.
The dead and dying jellyfish were discovered after reports to Pembrokeshire County Council of a blue substance on the beaches at West Dale and Gellyswick.
The public are being asked not to touch them as they can sting, even when dead.
Some of the jellyfish have been sent to a laboratory for further tests.
The creature gets its nickname from its 'fin' which allows it to catch the wind and sail on the surface of the water.
Pembrokeshire County Council is taking advice from the Environment Agency and the Countryside Council for Wales on ways of disposing of the jellyfish.

How are you feeling Marc?

markhowe
Posted on Monday, April 21, 2003 - 08:42 am:   Edit Post Print Post

It's called Vellela vellela, or the By-the-Wind-Sailor. Looks like a Portuguese Man-o-War kind of, and is remotely related [and to jelly fish], but the stinging cells are barely perceptible. [supposedly only if you touch the tentacles with your tongue ?!!?] They feed the same way; by catching plankton with the tentacles that hang down underneath the body as they sail along.

Yes, they do sail, and at angles to the wind even. At times there will be so many blowing up on the beach and dying that the more durable sails will blow along the sand like leaves in the wind.

hughston (hughston)
Posted on Sunday, April 20, 2003 - 12:36 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

While this does not relate to sailing per se, the creature in this picture does have a sail. Found it yesterday in the tide pools out at the headlands, and it wasn't moving, except for the wind in its sail. Mark Howe, have you seen one of these, and do you know what it is?

Looking straight down at it: 0204

Underside: 0205

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration