Marc Hughston
Username: hughston

Post Number: 671
Posted on Wednesday, July 30, 2008 - 06:27 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Aloha from Le Flying Fish
Sent July 30, 3:19 AM
Day 14

Aloha Marc,

A little late but here comes the last email... We crossed the finish line around 2am on Monday. Official finish time is 13d 15h 56m 23s. We finished fourth, 1h 9m behind Moore Havoc. You can find our arrival picture at http://pacificcup.org/08/arrivals/pc08-arrival.php?yacht_id=29. You'll see a very tired but very happy and proud Papa.

As you arrive in the dark and adjust to the artificial lights it is fun to hear those voices in the background. Peter and Jeff, previous owners of Le Flying Fish (used to be Keeli Quinn) and who competed in the Pac Cup 06, made a point of being there. Merci! THEY know first hand what we've gone through over the last 14 days. We understand each other when we share stories. Then it's 'Papa', 'Papa' with Segolen and Evan Luc. I have missed those little voices during the crossing. Dorianne, Stella and Dag (parents in law) were also present, battling the squalls and the rain coming through the night. What a special moment to share!

The 'get well'/paper boats crossed the Pacific Ocean to Hawaii, and tomorrow morning they'll complete the last leg of their journey. We'll be giving away those paper boats to sick kids from the Kapi'olani hospital, making sure to tell the kids about the story of those paper boats. There might be some local media; something that Evan Luc always looks for ;-)

It is the end of an incredible 2 week adventure, the end of an 18 months project... It's going to take some time to adjust to this new phase. I hope you enjoyed our daily updates. Hopefully it made some sense as it was quite challenging to write those emails in this environment, with a constant level of general fatigue and with the intensity of the race.

It was my 3rd crossing to Hawaii. I still have never flown 'TO' Hawaii :-)) A fun fact I love... I look forward to reading all of your emails of support.

In the end... the KIDS won! This is what truly counts...

Merci,
Stephane
www.sailorsonamission.org
www.pacificcup.org

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 670
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 09:06 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent July 27, 6:51 PM
Day 13

Aloha Marc,

We just made our 100 mile check-in, meaning we're only 100 miles from the finish line. Next check-in will be at 25 miles from the finish line. We got it by a huge cloud with some major rain and wind. For a while we were sailing 10+ knots and everything was great. Well, for the past 2 hours we've been sailing super slow... very frustrating to get those extremes from one minute to another. The wind is supposed to be in the 16-18 knots range in the area. Let's hope we find it soon so we make some headway towards Kaneohe Bay.

Last night was maybe the wildest night in my 3 crossings to Hawaii. It was cloud after cloud with no visibility. We were sailing in the low teens at all time. This morning we calculated we covered 65 nm in 6 hours, basically 11 knots average. The concentration was extreme. There was no margin for error, everything was going so fast. Let's hope our last nights is a little bit more relax.

Moore Havooc had a great day yesterday and there are now ahead of us. Congratulations to them for this great comeback.

We're probably going to arrive in the middle of the night, probably around 8am Pacific Time or 5am Hawaiian Time. We'll be first in line for breakfast. To arrive at night is not so much fun for the scenery and for navigation but we'll take it. Let's just hope tonight has a nice moon and some steady breeze (and no crazy clouds).

Below are some of the things I'm not going to miss for a while:
- Live on my butt, on my knees or on my back in a confined environment. I cannot wait to stand up and walk for a change.
- Drink 'room' temperature water, with or without Gatorade powder. We're looking for some fresh fruit juice, mai thai...
- Live with the same clothes on for days. Everything needs to be washed thoroughly after 14 days in this environment
- Prepare some hot water in an always in motion boat. Always dangerous to go from the measuring cup to tea pot to freeze dried food bag.
- Live without someone banging on the deck to call you on watch. That happens at least 4 times a day, sometimes more if we need to gybe.
- Live with a life jacket around my neck. It gets heavy after a while with the life jacket, harness and tether.
- Live with a head lamp on my forehead. It will be nice to switch the light with just an on/off button as opposed to 1 click is red light, 2nd click in white light, 3rd click is a beam light, 4th click to turn everything off.
- Live with crazy clouds dumping huge wind and rain; and then leaving behind in the middle of a wind hole. How about some nice steady breeze for a while?

However I'm really going to miss:
- The sound of the ocean: the wind into the sails and the waves passing by the hull.
- Spend the night sailing in short, t-shirt and bare foot. The temperatures are perfect.
- Being remote from civilization. So refreshing... No idea what happened in the past 2 weeks, probably not much but I'm sure the news media has created all kind of sensational news with nothing.

Slowly we'll have to adjust back from those 14 intensive days. What an experience!

One more night and we'll step a foot on land. The family has come to Hawaii. It is the first time for the kids so they are really excited. I cannot wait to hug them. It's going to be an emotional moment I have been waiting for a long long time.

Stephane

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 666
Posted on Sunday, July 27, 2008 - 10:49 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent July 26, 6:22 PM
Day 12

Aloha Marc,

Isn't the weekend supposed to be more relax than the week? Well, I guess not... The wind and Moore Havoc have decided otherwise for us. We're still in 3rd but by not much. Moore Havoc is still better positioned than us to the wind. This morning the winds have been light and dead astern. We have to split gybes in order to make headway to Hawaii. Not great... We just got hit by one of those major clouds. Plenty of wind (good news) however bringing us away from Hawaii :-( We have to gybe but the conditions are too wild. We hang in there hoping this cloud will cross behind our path but it looks more like it's following us. By now we're sailing 300 degrees but Hawaii is at 250. We decide to douse the spinnaker and re-hoist after the gybe to be on the safe side. Just as we're about to go ahead with the plan, bang, we're now laying on the water. Quickly we let go the spinnaker halyard and the boat rights itself up. The kyte is completely soaked but we have to bring it inside the boat before it decides to fly away from us. Bags and clothes are kind of wet but not too bad. At least we're in nice warm weather. We did a chicken gybe, re-hoisted the kyte, and are now flying towards Hawaii. Well, this little adventure is not going to help against Moore Havoc...

What a wonderful poem! We love it. Thank you Doug. It helps with a day like this. So close to Hawaii, and still so far away...

With Le Flying Fish far out to Sea
Two Samaritans Steph and JP
When a wave ups and dips
Think of small paper ships
Those Kids Hearts shall arrive You Safely

Let's consider the chance quite remote
A Flown Fish would fly up on your boat
With Full Moon on your bow
We can tell you right now
Serendipith shall keep you afloat

We don't care if you finish last, YOU GUYS ARE AWESOME!!!!

Doug R.

Stephane

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 664
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 06:05 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent July 26, 12:10 AM
Day 11

Aloha Marc,

Another wonderful note of support (see below). Thank you Suzanne. You guys at the foundation and at the school are great, it is such a pleasure to work with you on those projects.

The strategy that we have been building over the last couple days doesn't look so good anymore... As of today we're still in 3rd position but the advantage is for Moore Havoc and Moonshine. The breeze came up north and they're fully taking advantage of it to make a comeback. And with the wind going right we are at another disadvantage on them. The cards have been played, we can only keep pushing hard until the end and see what happens. At least it makes it for an interesting finish for people following the race online.

The latest weather forecast shows 18 knots all over the course starting Saturday night until Monday. Until then we're going to have to live with 13-15kts. Will we get there for breakfast, brunch or lunch on Monday? We're really dying to have a normal meal...

We thought about ordering some pizza with our Sat phone tonight. A great idea for a Friday's night out. However we couldn't figure the zip code we were in. We settle for some spaghetti with meat sauce. Funny, it is 10pm Pacific and still day light, a sign we're really getting close to Hawaii.

Stephane

----

Stephane & JP,

It is so much fun to read about your exciting adventure. I look forward to your updates each day.

And thank you so much for making Children's Hospital Oakland part of your adventure. This is truly a remarkable and unique fund raiser for the Hospital. You and JP have put so much time and effort, not only in the sailing part of this race, but also in reaching out on behalf of the sick and injured children of Northern California who come to Children's for their care. Your visits to our School Room were so much fun for the children and staff - and educational as well. The kids probably didn't even realize they were learning when they were having such a good time. Certainly a way for them to think about and do some fun things even though they were in the hospital. All of your projects were also very creative and clever. And of course, we all enjoyed having Le Flying Fish in the courtyard of the hospital. Climbing up into your boat was a real eye-opener about how truly small Le Flying Fish is - in that big ocean.

Thank you again for your fund raising efforts - we really appreciate everything that you have done over the past several months for the Hospital and your ongoing fund raising efforts. As you have reminded your fans over the past several days, they can donate to the hospital by logging on to your website: http://www.sailorsonamission.org/ and click on the Children's Hospital logo on the homepage.

Good luck on the last leg of your journey,

Suzanne

Suzanne M. Beauregard
Director, Corporate Relations
Children's Hospital & Research Center Foundation
2201 Broadway, Suite 600
Oakland, CA 94612
510-428-3885, ext. 2983
www.chofoundation.org

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 663
Posted on Saturday, July 26, 2008 - 06:02 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent July 24, 11:59 PM
Day 10

Aloha Marc,

Thank you Mrs Schroeder for this wonderful note of support. I thought I would share your words about 'the twinkle in each child's eyes' because it is so true. During my long journey to Hawaii fond memories are coming back... With the 5th graders we played a game to guess how long different items (can, plastic bag, ...)take to decompose. I can still hear the sound of the classroom every time when they will eventually get to the real number of years. With the 2nd graders I just wished I had videotaped the folding of those paper boats. It was hectic but the 72 kids showed great perseverance to follow all the instructions. They should be proud of themselves. And the Kindergartens impressed me with their questions. There was the future engineer asking how you raised the sails, the future doctor asking if we would be taking medicine with us,... Their minds were totally captivated by the project.

It was such a special moment for myself to spend the day with those kids. They gave me back more than I gave them.

On the sailing side we're now in squall territory. We get hit by those powerful clouds all night long. They bring rain and huge amount of wind. It makes sailing at night even more intense. Last night I got a wonderful show from the moon. As a the dark cloud of a squall cleared the moon appeared dead astern of the boat, creating this wonderful bright light in the middle of a dark sky. And then forward of me there was a moon bow. I had heard about it but never seen one. 4 more nights of squalls to go...

Stephane
www.pacificcup.org

---------

Dear Stephane,

We are all so happy to hear that you are safe and understand more
than ever how small your sailboat is and what great plans you have
gone to in order to remain safe during your voyage.

We treasure the day in late May that you came to St. Isidore School,
parked your lovely sailboat in the parking lot, and gave tours to
your daughter's Kindergarten classes, your son's grade 2 classes and
the fifth grade who had role-played living on a tall ship during at
the time of the great San Francisco earthquake of 1906.

It was so much fun to watch the twinkle in each child's eyes. So few
have the chance to see a sailboat up close and to have so much
information from such a sweetheart of a dad. Your own children loved
it the most!

We are so proud to have you sailing to Hawaii and visiting Kapi'olani
Hospital with notes from the children of St. Isidore School. How well
you carry the Gospel values with you that the parents, teachers and I
teach each day. Thank you for being such a great role model for us all!

I am so pleased our darling Kindergarten teacher, Miss Astillero,
will met you in Honolulu. Our prayer continues for you to stay safe.
Please take lots of pictures so we can enjoy a return trip to school
with the sailboat and you. God bless you and keep you safe.

Our gratefulness for you good work for children both here and there
in Hawaii.

Fondly,

Jean Schroeder
Principal
St. Isidore School
435 La Gonda Way
Danville, California 94526

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 662
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:35 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent 7/23/08 10:43 PM
Day 9

Aloha Marc,

Yesterday we kept on pushing south to look for more pressure. Just before night we dropped the main and the spinnaker to inspect the lines for chafe. Then we decided to hoist the .6 spinnaker and for the occasion renamed it 'wind maker'. At first the spinnaker was confused but after a brief 'tete a tete' he understood the mission. Later that night he delivered and we got strong and steady winds. It made for some fun sailing/surfing in a dark night.

At 4am we got lifted and decided to gybe. We then had a nice 6 hour ride straight towards Hawaii. It felt good to knock down some miles directly towards the finish line. We did some more south today but are now pretty much committed to go west for the next few days. It will be difficult to make a come back on Barbaloot and Alternate Reality but we put ourselves in a position to at least try. From now on every mile sailed will be pretty much a mile closer to a mai thai. Waiting for that moment where you can see the Islands far on the horizon... always a great feeling after so many days at sea.

Just did an inventory of the food. We have only consumed 3 days of freeze dried food out of the 16 days we brought. Kind of interesting as we've been at sea 9 days. Our diet has been mostly based on everything you could easily grab and go on watch, meaning no more bananas, no more apples, 1 more carrot, 10 oranges left, the cereal and snack bars took a hit... It looks very much like we're going to have to start eating the freeze dried food if we want to survive the remaining 5 days.

One piece of advice if you use some freeze dried food: follow the instructions on the box. Be advised not to shake the pack right after you add the boiling water. The pressure is such that it can open the zipper and you can imagine the rest. Always fun to spend part of your off watch cleaning the mess inside the boat.

Stephane
www.pacificcup.org

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 661
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:32 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent 7/22/08 5:31 PM
Day 8

Aloha Marc,

I'm happy to report the latest wind forecasts are on the rise over the remaining 900nm we have until the finish. That's good news compared to the wind report we got last night. We're pursuing our southerly route towards better winds but soon we'll have to gybe to make some west towards Hawaii. When to gybe is going to be the big question over the next day or so...
We have moved into 3rd place and are trying to increase our lead against Moore Havooc while we are in better winds. It will be difficult to catch up Barbaloot and Alternate Reality as we are all following the same weather option and they are quite far ahead. Still a lot of racing left...

Today I was thinking about the kids JP and I have met during our visits at Children's Hospital & Research Center Hospital Oakland. We come to the hospital's school once a month to talk about different topics using sailing as background. It is an opportunity for the kids to think about something else than their disease. One day we brought a boat model and a fan to explain how a sailboat moves in the water using only the energy of the wind. We also taught them how to do some nautical knots. Whenever we can we talk about our oceans and explain why they're so important to our planet and the people living on it. It is amazing how quickly kids get it... Hope they're successful at convincing their parents to make an effort to be more respectful towards our environment.
We also brought Le Flying Fish (on a trailer) to the hospital so the kids could check it out. Javier, who we had met in one of our educational sessions, came back with his mom so he could see the boat. It was great to see the smile on his face. You could definitely tell that he has some dreams of his own for the future. I like to think we make a small difference in the life of those kids...

I'd like to also recognize the work done by the doctors, nurses and other hospital staff. Our family experienced it first hand 8 years ago when Evan Luc was born early. The work they do at the hospital is nothing short of miraculous. We will forever be thankful for offering our son a second chance at a healthy life.

Stephane

PS: We're using this adventure to raise money for Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland. More information on our website at http://www.sailorsonamission.org/, see 'Campaign' section. If interested in giving money simply click on the Children's Hospital logo on the homepage. 100% of the proceeds go to the hospital. Thank you to all of you who have already contributed to our fund raising effort.

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 660
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:29 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent 7/21/08 8:06 PM
Day 7

Aloha Marc,

Today is exactly 7 days we are at sea and before the end of the day we will be exactly a 1,000nm away from Kaneohe Bay, HI. It is exciting to go down to 3 digits... The less exciting thing however is the lighter forecast over the next 7 days. Where we are we would typically expect regular trade winds with great surfing. It looks more like 10-15knts with the wind in the direction to Hawaii. We're going to have to sail high to keep going fast and gybe quite a lot. Let's hope the grib files are wrong but so far they've been fairly accurate.

Our strategy of going south has paid of some and we hope to make more gains against Moore Havoc over the next day or so. Having some hopes to move into 3rd position. Something to watch for in tomorrow's rankings. Luckily we can get those by email as we haven't been able to listen to any of the roll calls.

We have a Pacific Cup 08 bottle of wine we're going to open for the 1,000nm mark (kind of half way mark) and find a gourmet dinner in our freeze dried food compartment. We won't forget to share our wine with the ocean so the waves bring us faster to Hawaii.

A bird keeps flying around our boat. It looks like it wants to land on it and keep aiming for the top of the mast. We don't mind anywhere but not on the windex. So every time the bird is making a landing approach we have to jerk the tiller to move the top of the mast away. So far we have been unable to explain to the bird the bow would be a better resting platform.

Today I took a picture of the 'get well/folded boat' near the instrument showing the 1,000nm mark from Hawaii. Those little boats are making the trip of their life and are enjoying every minute of it. They cannot wait to get to Hawaii and find the hands of a kid.

Stephane

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 659
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:26 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent 7/20/08 8:24 PM
Day 6

Aloha Marc,

Today was shower day! Finally... I guess. The sun only came out for a few hours but anyway the temperatures are now nice enough that there was no excuses anymore. I took some clean clothes from a ziploc bag and made sure to ziploc the dirty ones.

Yesterday I forgot to mention that a flying fish landed on the bow. I took a picture before trying to rescue it. As I grabbed his tail he tried to escape and found his way back in his environment. I guess he came to say hello to his bigger cousin.

Last night we gybed and have been going south to look for more win and to escape the high pressure coming down. We'll see if that pays off...

Got it by a big squall (big cloud with strong winds) last night... and did round down. The boat was on its side for a few minutes. It took some time to clean up the mess and hoist the kite back up. Every night is going to be the same drill from now on. Small squalls at the beginning of the night, getting bigger as the night goes on.

Need to check the latest weather files to see if we should gybe back now that it looks that we have found the wind we were looking for.

Stephane

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 658
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:21 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent 7/19/08 9:02 PM
Day 5

Aloha Marc,

As I write this email we're about to go below 1,300nm to the finish. Always good for the morale to reach those milestones. Over the last couple days we've been working our way south to try to avoid the high pressure (meaning lighter winds) coming down on us. Today the wind direction is not as cooperative so we cannot go down as much as we would like to. We'll see over the next day or so if our southerly option will have paid off to try to remain in stronger winds/waves.

We can now feel the sun behind the clouds, finally... At least the day is short and t-shirt and the nights are mild. The boat and our foulies are dry. It makes life so much more enjoyable.

As part of the trip I brought 72 paper boats. The project started with a simple piece of paper at St Isidore School in Danville,CA. The 2nd graders wrote some 'get well' notes and then folded them as paper boats. Those paper boats are now sailing across the Pacific Ocean. You can see where they are if you go to the Pacific Cup website (pacificcup.org) and look for Le Flying Fish in the satellite tracking section. Once in Hawaii, JP and I will personally deliver those "paper boats/get well notes" to the kids of Children's Hospital of Honolulu. We cannot wait to see those kids' faces when they realize what journey their paper boat has gone through. They might not even want to unfold the boat to read the get well note...

Stephane

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 657
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:19 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent 7/18/08 5:48 PM

Aloha Marc,

Still grey out there but we're getting into warmer latitudes. It feels good to remove some layers. As I write this email we have 1,500nm left to the finish line. However we'll be sailing many more miles, looking for favorable winds and waves to get there faster.

I'll try to answer some common questions about the trip:
- What do you bring on board the boat? It is a small boat but we need to bring everything we need for 2 weeks. Below is a summary list:
sails: 1 mainsail, 2 jibs (#2 and #3), 4 spinnakers (two .6, one .9, one 1.5), a trysail and a storm jib
safety: liferaft, epirb, man over board pole, lifesling, flares...
communication: SSB radio, VHF radio, satellite phone, laptop...
food: 16 days of freeze dried food, breakfast and snack items, fruits, camping stove and 30 gallons of water
boat items: outboard, gas, anchor, tool box, parts
navigation: 2 gps, 1 compass
personal stuff: foulies, lifejacket, sleeping bag, boots, sun block...
- Do you sail the boat back to California? No, we ship the trailer to Hawaii and bring the boat back on the trailer in a ship.
- Why would you sail to Hawaii for 2 weeks when you can fly to Hawaii in 5 hours and then spend 2 weeks on the beach? Too difficult to explain this one... Let's say it's a childhood dream. Where I come from in Brittany offshore sailing, especially short handed sailing, is a very popular sport. I grew up dreaming about Eric Tabarly's adventures and today I get to experience it (at my own level of course).
- What do you do when you're off watch? Sleep is the primary thing to do but you also have to eat, check the weather, do some navigation, report our position... It is quite busy, the days and nights go really fast.

Have a great weekend,
Stephane

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 656
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:17 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent 7/17/08 10:22 PM

Aloha Marc,

Today I saw a patch of blue sky and the sun... but it was short lived, maybe 20 minutes and it went away. Back to cloudy sky, no moon, no stars. We're really waiting for the sun to come out, hopefully tomorrow.

Last night was a wild night, reaching high all night, it was a wet night. The boat and everything in it was quite wet as well. It was quite a miserable environment so we pushed our night watches to 3 hours so we don't have to put the wet foulies back on too many times.

We had our 3rd freeze dried food meal tonight: Macaroni and Cheese. We're skipping a lot of the meals to eat the apples, oranges, bananas, carrots and snacks. Just quicker than freeze dried food, if that's possible ;-)

Since yesterday afternoon we're headed towards Hawaii. There will be options to play later on but for the moment we think that rhumb line is the best option. This morning we had a little over 1,700 nm to go. Still a lot of sailing to do.

Tonight we just hoisted the spinnaker for the first time, just before the night came. The boat was lively reaching under the jib top but now it is even another degree of balance to find by yourself, especially that there is not much light out there. When we'll be able to see the moon it will make things easier to read the waves.

I'm going to download the latest grib files to check what the wind forecast is expected to be over the next 4 days. We'll see if that changes our strategy. And then I need to get some sleep...

Stephane

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 655
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:15 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Sent July 16, 2:33 PM

Aloha Marc,

Cloudy everywhere but we have wind, about 12-15knts. We're moving along under our jib top. We can see 2 boats around us but too far away to know who they are.

We continue to change watch every 2 hours during the night and every 3 to 4 hours during the day. Slowly getting into a rhythm. It will be much nicer when we can get rid of our foulies... but I guess we have to wait for that moment a little longer. Hawaii has to be earned...

Still no SSB radio but we do relays with Nathalie and Nathen from Elise through Sat phones. Great competitive spirit! We will have to buy them a lot of mai thai once in Hawaii to thank them.

Recidivist crew: I'm sure you guys are so ready for tomorrow's start. We're going to try to keep our lead all the way to Hawaii... Make sure you make some pit stops once in a while along the way.

Special 'hello' to the Children's Hospital & Research Center Foundation staff. Hope you're enjoying the race so far... a lot more to go.

Stephane

www.pacificcup.org

PS: To my 2 little Sea Lions... go get those Stingrays! Have a great swim meet.

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 654
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:07 am:   Edit Post Print Post

------Original Message------
To: Undisclosed Recipients
Sent: Jul 11, 2008 10:55 PM
Subject: Pacific Cup 2008 - Le Flying Fish

Aloha Marc,

Going back to Hawaii this year but with a bigger challenge... In a 24 foot boat and with only 2 crew aboard: JP and myself (no automatic pilot). Also, Le Flying Fish will solely rely on solar energy to power the electronics (no CO2 emission).

You should be getting daily updates from the middle of the Pacific Ocean, as long as we find the energy to do so. Hopefully what we'll write will make some sense... Feel free to reply to those emails. They'll go in my gmail account to save on bandwidth limitation from the boat but I promise I'll read every single one of them once I'm in Hawaii.

You can find more updates about the race and our progress at http://pacificcup.org/, including satellite tracking, daily standings... and once we have crossed the finish line you should see a picture of us.

We're using this adventure to raise money for Children's Hospital & Research Center Oakland. More information on our website at http://www.sailorsonamission.org/, see 'Campaign' section. If interested in giving money simply click on the Children's Hospital logo on the homepage. 100% of the proceeds go to the hospital. Thank you again to all of you who have already contributed to our fund raising effort.

Our start is on Monday, July 14 at 1:20pm in front of the St Francis Yacht Club. Finish is in Kaneohe Bay, Oahu.

Next email will be from the ocean...
Stephane

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 653
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:05 am:   Edit Post Print Post

Stephane's boat is: Le Flying Fish

------Original Message------
To: Undisclosed Recipients
Sent: Jul 15, 2008 7:55 PM
Subject: Pacific Cup 2008 - Day #1

Aloha Marc,

First day at sea... things are settling down slowly. Trying to get into a rhythm. For us the race started when we left the dock as our engine didn't want to get in gear. We started sailing 'upwind', it was not looking good to make the start on time until we got a tow all the way out of the Alameda Esturary from a super nice guy.. We sailed the rest of the way to San Francisco making our start just by 10 minutes. What a relief...

It was some close racing with the other 2 Moore 24, then later in the afternoon we started taking different options... we probably won't see each other until the finish line. Last night we had 2 boats sail very close to us. Acacia with who we tried to do a radio check (more on this later). During the night Mirage came to say hello. Since there was very little wind it was easy to talk from one boat to the other.

This morning we missed the roll call. No luck with our SSB radio. Yesterday we tried to connect to Children's Hour (informal call) but couldn't. We checked all the connections and many other things but no luck. This morning we were unable to report our position. Luckily Elise had their satellite phone on and they relayed our position. Merci Elise! Because we cannot listen to 'roll call' we don't know the position of our competitors. Oh well, we'll find out in Hawaii.

Only slept 4 hours yesterday. Need to do some catch up... Besides dinner last night (beef stew - freeze dried) we have been skipping the other meals, just snacking on what some handy. We'll try to start the regular meals tonight.

We are currently sailing with our jib top (#2), moving along quite nicely around 6 knots. The wind picked up early afternoon and turned right, what we were waiting for. Little by little we've been organizing the boat to make our space more livable. The sun is trying to peak through the clouds but with very little success. Couple more days and hopefully we'll get some nice sunny days, remove some layers and think about the first shower.

A bientot,
Stephane

Marc Hughston

Post Number: 652
Posted on Thursday, July 24, 2008 - 12:02 am:   Edit Post Print Post

My friend Stephane Plihon is racing to Hawaii one more time in the Pacific Cup. He's on Moore 24, doublehanded across the ocean. He's out there right now, and his latest email made me put aside other concerns to post his reports. Please read them below. When you wake up this morning, think about what it's like for two guys to pilot a small boat to Hawaii. While you have been sleeping, Stephane has been busy!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration