Daren Rogers, possibly DBA Sundance M... Log Out | Topics | Search
Moderators | Register | Edit Profile

Electric Marine Discussions » Tradespeople who work on boats. » Daren Rogers, possibly DBA Sundance Marine « Previous Next »

Thread Last Poster Posts Pages Last Post
  Start New Thread        

Kathleen C. Matlock
Username: kcmatlock

Post Number: 3
Posted on Sunday, August 24, 2008 - 09:19 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

When attending a marine survey in Long Beach, I met Daren Rogers and was dazzled by what appeared to be his vast knowledge and experience in boat repairs. He told me about many boats that he owns now, had owned in the past, had restored or repaired for customers, etc. (I later discovered these claims to be fictional.)

Since I was having an engine problem at the time (two other mechanics had failed to diagnose the issue), I asked him to take a look for me. He quickly diagnosed the problem and set about a repair that he assured me would be very quick and inexpensive. Throughout the process he told me several times that 'those other guys would have ripped me off' and also that he was 'getting me a deal' on parts because all sorts of people owed him favors.

Weeks passed. Appointments were missed. Promises were unfulfilled. Explanations became more perplexing. Other parts were changed. And more checks were cashed.

When I finally put my foot down and told him to stay off my boat, the original problem had not been fixed, I now had symptoms that had not been experienced before, oil had been spewed all over my cabin and upholstery, and black smoke had billowed over the docks until dock neighbors complained.

The necessary repair is currently in progress by another mechanic. However, before he could adequately diagnose the original problem, I had to pay him to replace the fuel injection pump, which was broken by Daren Rogers when he reassempled/reinstalled it improperly after he removed it and tore it apart.

In addition to breaking the pump, I was also charged for labor not performed, and for replacing parts that did not need to be replaced.

I have been told by by two other friends in Dana Point Harbor that they had similar experiences with Daren. One of them is currently having to replace a transmission, also broken due to being improperly installed and then run until broken beyond repair.

When I met Daren, I was told he ran his boat repair business in Marina Del Rey. However, upon coming to Dana Point Harbor to look at my boat, it seems he decided to stay in Dana Point and start up his business there. As far as I know, he is still working in the Dana Point harbor, but I confirmed with both Marina companies that he is not on the approved vendor lists.

My friend also told me that Daren was caught sleeping on my friend's boat without permission, and telling dock neighbor's that they could have my friend's fishing rods off his boat.

Everyone who I know of who had him working on their boats has since either installed or changed the locks on the boats.

David Sheriff
Board Administrator
Username: admin

Post Number: 189
Posted on Monday, August 25, 2008 - 07:01 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

Thanks Kathleen. Hopefully this will protect some other boater.

Note that there is a legitimate yacht brokerage business in Dana Point called Sun Country Marine. There is a Sundance Marine listed in the boater's directory in San Diego. A look at their website brings up Crow's Nest Yachts, so I don't think there is any relationship

Also Duped
Username: metoo

Post Number: 1
Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 08:18 am:   Edit Post Print Post

I wish I had seen Kathleen's post earlier. I was also duped by Daren Rogers. BEWARE: He will do what Kathleen described... say other experts were trying to rip you, boast about his expertise, and then create havoc. Excuse after excuse about why the project isn't finished, scratch/dent/rip/dirty your property, make problems that didn't even exist before, ... and it will cost you money to repair.

He is supposedly starting Sundance Marine back up. He'll may be scouting for work in Dana Point and Huntington Harbor.

He does have some good knowledge - just enough to get you to believe him. But, do yourself a favor - hire someone else with a business license, business office, and community references.

Kathleen C. Matlock
Intermediate Member
Username: kcmatlock

Post Number: 12
Posted on Wednesday, August 21, 2013 - 03:41 pm:   Edit Post Print Post

OMG! Say it isn't SO!!!!! Avoid this man like the plague! He's a smooth talker, and will talk you out of dinner, money, boat parts, equipment, booze, a place to sleep . . . anything and everything. And make you think he's your hero, there to take care of you. Run, don't walk!

Add Your Message Here
This is a private posting area. Only registered users and moderators may post messages here.
Password:
Options: Enable HTML code in message
Automatically activate URLs in message
Action:

Topics | Last Day | Last Week | Tree View | Search | Help/Instructions | Program Credits Administration