| Author |
Message |
   
Ric Dahlin
Moderator Username: rdahlin
Post Number: 1 Registered: 01-2011
| | Posted on Monday, February 28, 2011 - 05:18 pm: |
|
Student Skippers, Please Email your GPX files (or return GPS directly) to Mark Howe as soon as possible. Thanks for your good leadership on our trip. I look forward to hearing your stories at our next class. don't forget to write your Term Paper, one for each cruise, (evaluating your leadership experience) See details in the course syllabus. |
   
Brian Skeith
Junior Member Username: skeith
Post Number: 5 Registered: 07-2009
| | Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 09:02 am: |
|
Correction on my Catalina directions--I believe the East End of Catalina is what I meant-not the West End which would be up toward the ismuth.. |
   
Brian Skeith
Junior Member Username: skeith
Post Number: 4 Registered: 07-2009
| | Posted on Thursday, February 17, 2011 - 08:58 am: |
|
Sealark has 2 reef points--we will need to rig the 2nd reef before departure. We have a large jib (no storm jib as far as I know)-so we will need to make sure wind conditions are appropriate to the sail. We should monitor predicted wind direction and swells-and determine best destination before departure. Another option might be Avalon first night for protected mooring. Depending on wind direction--we could set a course for the West end tip of Catalina to avoid heading direct into the wind and swells (assuming the wind coming out of the West-as it switches from South-Southwest to West) --and then head up when we are close to the island in the protection of the island and go into Avalon for the night. 2nd day is predicted to be clear and stable conditions-we could decide whether to go around to Cat Harbor-or to stay on the leeside of Catalina and go up to the isthmus, etc. |
   
Ted Lavino
Moderator Username: tlavino
Post Number: 170 Registered: 01-2006
| | Posted on Wednesday, February 16, 2011 - 07:44 am: |
|
A couple of thoughts: 1. Available Sail Plans - Rhapsody for example has one reef point available in her main and a high-clew yankee jib. I would be concerned with only one reef available, and her jib is not designed to be sailed when partially furled, particularly in heavy weather. 2. Route planning - our current current first night's destination is Willows or thereabouts, directly into heavy winds and large swells with short periods - not a good combination with unfamiliar boats and a large percentage of green crew. If the weather pans out as predicted suggest using our alternate. We did plan for an alternate destination, with charts and other navigation information available in case of weather, mechanical difficulties, etc. didn't we? To me the alternatives that make sense given predicted weather are Long Beach or Oceanside. 3. Anchorage - Definitely don't want to risk having a lee shore with that kind of wind and swells. Also need to take extra care in terms of finding a sheltered anchorage. 4. Crew Fatigue - Would want to shorten legs and watch cycles if heavy winds/swells are encountered. |
   
Brian Skeith
New member Username: skeith
Post Number: 3 Registered: 07-2009
| | Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 11:33 pm: |
|
We need to monitor the marine weather forecasts as these storms approach. Latest info I saw shows strong wind Friday night-with subsiding on Saturday to 10-20 knots in the waters between the mainland and Catalina. If there is a forecast for thunderstorms possible over coastal waters on Saturday-that would present potential of funnel clouds and lightning. Below is current forecast I found : Fri Night...SE winds 15 to 25 kt...becoming S 15 to 20 kt after midnight. Gusts to 30 kt. Combined seas 6 to 8 ft. Rain. Sat...W winds 10 to 20 kt. Wind waves 1 to 3 ft. W swell 5 to 7 ft...subsiding to 4 to 6 ft. Showers likely...then slight chance of showers. Sun...W winds 10 to 15 kt. Wind waves 2 ft or less. W swell 4 to 6 ft. |
   
Ric Dahlin
Junior Member Username: rdahlin
Post Number: 4 Registered: 12-2010
| | Posted on Tuesday, February 15, 2011 - 11:24 pm: |
|
Student Skippers, NOAA is alerting mariners to the series of Alaskan storms moving in. They are warning of possible southeast winds of 15-30, gusts up to 50, thunderstorms likely, with heavy rain Friday night into Saturday. You are the skipper, what are your concerns? |
   
Ted Lavino
Moderator Username: tlavino
Post Number: 151 Registered: 01-2006
| | Posted on Tuesday, January 25, 2011 - 11:55 pm: |
|
Folks, to assist student skippers with organizing their crew and vessel I've created folders in the 214B section for each of the vessels scheduled for the first cruise. |
   
Ric Dahlin
New member Username: rdahlin
Post Number: 3 Registered: 12-2010
| | Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 05:46 pm: |
|
Student Skippers, Please review the above attachment and prepare to discuss on the January 24th. |
   
Ric Dahlin
New member Username: rdahlin
Post Number: 2 Registered: 12-2010
| | Posted on Wednesday, January 12, 2011 - 05:24 pm: |
|
Student Skippers, Attached are the Syllabus and course Information. In addition I sent you the skills you will be addressing with your crew during the 3-day voyages. I will be posting the gear and equipment lists for you to use when planning with your crew at our next meeting on Jan. 24th. See you then! |